Put a 03 xlt Flex Fuel Engine into a 02 non-flex fuel Explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Put a 03 xlt Flex Fuel Engine into a 02 non-flex fuel Explorer xlt

explore me

Reaction score
Hello guys n gals. after putting an 03 sohc xlt FLEX FUEL engine into my 02 non-flex fuel 02 explorer sohc xlt and changing the wiring harness, fuel rails, injectors and crank sensor, it still will not start unless you spray starting fluid. My mechanic is pretty "sure" it's the fuel pump that now needs to be replaced because he CAN'T hear it engage, but before i spend even more money on this can you tell me what else to check first?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think there are fuses for the fuel pump, if it was me this is what I would do and I am by no means any kind of mech.... I would disconnect the line to the fuel pump and have some try and start it and see if the pump is shooting fuel out... If it shoots fuel out you are going to make a mess, but you will know if the pump is good or bad.... If it is good, it may be the fuel filter is clogged...

Again I am no mechanic... Not a smart one anyways!

If it is the fuel pump just checking the pressure at the rail will tell you if it is working or not.

Check the fuel shutoff switch also.

my mechanic "says" he has tried all of the things you all suggested. Found a fuel pump at a salvage yard for $50 so we will see how it goes and will keep you posted. Thanks for all your help!

Are you planning on actually running E85? Is the new fuel pump from a flex fuel? If so, you're going to also want to replace all the fuel lines with ones rated for that ethanol content, a fuel filter rated for that ethanol content, as well as putting an E85 compatible sealant inside the tank. Otherwise, your fuel system will eventually rot and rust from the ethanol content. Also, did you change the ECM? That large an amount of ethanol will require a very different tune to run.

And can I ask why you changed it? Despite E85 being cheaper, the fact that it's far less efficient than gasoline will actually cost you more to fuel in the long run. The difference between gasoline and E85 can be as much as a 25% reduction, which means you spend almost 25% more to drive the same distance. It is better for the environment, but you're spending a lot of money just to reduce emissions by a small amount.

Hey buddy. I most definitely did NOT install a "flex fuel" engine into my regular fuel explorer because I wanted the E85!!! I did it because my original 02 engine developed a knock and I found this replacement engine in a perfectly running 03 explorer that had no title that was flex fuel..the 03 Explorer was so inexpensive I bought the entire car, had the engine and tranny removed, then sold it.

We basically turned the 03 flex fuel engine into a regular fuel engine by changing the fuel rails, injectors, maf, etc.. and afterward it would only start with starting fluid and you couldn't hear the fuel pump engage. So yes, the fuel pump I just bought is indeed a regular fuel type so my lines, ECM and tank lining is already regular fuel as well so I'm in good shape...I hope!!

Ok, that's good. Most vehicles can handle e10 and newer ones can handle e15 just fine, but e85 wreaks havoc with fuel systems. Just wanted to see if that's why you were doing it, haha. You may need to swap the ECM though. A different engine from a different year will have a lot of small stuff that is changed. I know members here have had unexpected problems swapping even the same engine in from an explorer that's even one year different.

Flex fuel engine swap

How did your engine swap work out? I would like to do the exact same swap....

I have a 02 non-flex fuel explorer 4.0 with a broken timing chain tensioner. The valves hit the pistons, and are probably bent. I have a chance to buy a Flex fuel engine out of a 03, but was worried that there may be some differences that will cause problems. I have already heard the 03 engine run, and it sounds good.

The seller is parting out the truck, so I could buy any other parts I would need off of it. I have no problem taking the time to swap over the intake, fuel rails, etc., as long as the internal parts will work. Any info would be appreciated....

Back