Putting in new radiator, any pointers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Putting in new radiator, any pointers?

monkeydude3

Reaction score
City, State
Millbrook, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all~
1994 XL 4.0L OHV 4X2 four door 5 speed manual transmission explorer. I'm now onto the 78245 thing to break on my explorer. My radiator sprung a leak on the bottom that is constantly getting larger. I ordered a new one that will be in tomorrow morning. I know exactly how it is SUPPOSED to come out according to Chilton and AllData, and I will begin work tomorrow afternoon after school and finish friday morning before I take a trip. I'd say a solid 2-3 hours, maybe more depending on how smoothly stuff goes. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers, suggestions, heads up etc. regarding a radiator replacement on this truck. Yes, I did buy a flush kit and I will flush it completely and fill it with 50/50 fresh coolant and distilled water. Thanks!

George

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a really simple radiator to replace, even more so since you have a 5 speed. I'd probably change the thermostat too if it hasn't been done in a while... since you're gonna be draining the system already...

As E said
New thermo, I might add new hoses ( Cheap and easy while all will be disconnected anyhow)would also replace the serp belt, cake with the rad removed

I'd look also into getting the hoses replaced if you haven't done so already - even the heater hoses. Good luck on the fix/replacement.

-Drew

All right. The T stat is one week old. The belt was replaced recently, still fine. The hoses are all right... I would do them now yes, but my wallet will not allow :p They are good though, not cracked or anything. Thanks guys!

Now if I have it straight

To remove the radiator

I take off air intake tube

Drain radiator completely

Disconnect hoses to radiator

Un bolt two bolts at top of fan shroud, and move the shroud so it rests on the fan

Un bolt the radiator

Tilt radiator up and out

Sound correct? This is what AllData said! thanks

George

That's it!

I did the one in my 93 Ranger in about 35 minutes.

Start the radiator draining before you disconnect the intake tube as that will take the longest. Make sure you have a large pan to catch it in as it hits something (can't remember what.... cross-member?) and runs about 2 feet away. Removing the radiator cap will hasten the draining process.

Don't forget to re-install the cap and burp the system after you re-fill it.

Piece of cake, and probably the easiest part of the whole frickin' truck to work on!

-Joe

Sorry they missed the part where you have to pull firmly on the overflow tube.
You also have to undo 4 bolts that hold the fan shroud in place.

This is a good time to replace the thermostat as others have said.
It is also a good time to check your nylon fan for cracks around the hub, and the condition of your serpentine belt.

Are you clear on the proceedure for refilling the system?
Not a bad idea to perform a quick flush either.

To keep from jacking up your new radiator during installation you can tape cardboard tot he front and back of it so it doesnt get dinged. :)

Good luck, this really is one of the easiet things on the truck to replace.

The hose clamps can be a PITA, the Ford factory clamps are sometimes the squeeze kind, a nice set of pliers and some patience works well here.

You will spill fluid pulling the radiator out, even if its drained. so just be prepared for that. Also use tthe correct coolant and levels of mix.

Thanks to all

Thanks everyone. It's not that I'm unsure of my skill, I was just wondering if there was anything I should be aware of. Thermostat is new. I will flush it and fill it with fresh coolant when I'm done, and burp it. I can't afford the hoses right now, and that's why they stay. 35 minutes eh? I am planning for 2 hours or so, to be on the safe side... something always comes up for me. Usually when I say it'll be a five minute thing four hours later I'm still swearing :p I will probably work on it tonight and tomorrow morning. Take care

George

your next post will be here saying how easy it was :)
my hoses have lasted 200K + so dont sweat it

As to 410... Yeah... it was easy. Just took me an hour and a half because I had to run to the store to get some distilled water, and I let the hose flush it for some extra time so the water coming out was CLEAR. Was one of the easiest things, it made my day how easy! LMAO. Actually it runs a bit smoother and the temp is more stable as well. I'd rather go into an easy project packed full of knowledge than a difficult one knowing nothing. Never hurts to ask. Thanks everyone!

George

Back