puzzled tire size issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

puzzled tire size issue

monty98

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
This forum has always been my go to for answers regarding my monties. Don't post often but do use that search a lot! Tons on here about tire sizes that fit stock which according to the door plate is 235/75r15. I ran into issue when went to install 255/70/16 on 98 mountaineer 5.0 that currently has stock 7" wheels from 3rd generation with 245/70r16's. Got the wheels & almost new tires used about 40k ago.. Everything fine but now at wear limit so time for new tires. Searching posts indicated should be able to go to 255 without issue. However, when pulled the 245's off it was discovered that the suspension on passenger side had worn a deep groove in side of the tire just above rim. They showed it to me. Back was rubbing some. I'm glad hadn't run them any longer. After discussion with the techs...the 255 certainly were not going on. But I didn't carefully check & they did not make comment about the driver side. They said suspension tight. My old tires wore evenly & rarely rotated. Any ideas of what the issue might be. The 245's are not significantly wider than the 235's and from all the rim & tire size calculators should have cleared with no issues at all.

One thing is the front passenger side squawks when first start out with the bouncing on the drive but disappears once down the road. The 97 does that also & it has all new front suspension. Not sure related in any way. But will probably have the front suspension checked elsewhere. I do like to have an idea of what the issue might be in advance tho as good mechanics hard to find here.

I have a 97 with stock 15's & new Cooper Discover AT3 235's so will probably move them to the 98 (regular driver) on Tuesday & then look at all the 245's carefully & try to get mechanic to give opinion on any suspension issues. Right now it looks like need to go back to 235's. Heading more to a highway tire instead of the at3's which like (have on my pu also). I sold my stock 15's so wondering about 235/70/16's if need to go back to a narrower tire.. Even searching for used 15" rims which are not common these days. Bit nervous about the shorter sidewall but other specs same so should not rub anywhere. Anybody running 235/70/16's or little taller? Any change is handling? Do they look strange? I live in the country with lots of curves, up & down & rain & roads not in best condition so don't want a harsh ride. Probably 50/50 freeway vs 2 lane & long gravel drive.

Any input, suggestions on what could be issue etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you say the suspension wore a groove into the tire, what part of the suspension exactly?
And is this the front tire? It’s not clear to me from your wording.
If you still have those 245s, I would mount one and get under there and look how much clearance you do or don’t have.

This forum has always been my go to for answers regarding my monties. Don't post often but do use that search a lot! Tons on here about tire sizes that fit stock which according to the door plate is 235/75r15. I ran into issue when went to install 255/70/16 on 98 mountaineer 5.0 that currently has stock 7" wheels from 3rd generation with 245/70r16's. Got the wheels & almost new tires used about 40k ago.. Everything fine but now at wear limit so time for new tires. Searching posts indicated should be able to go to 255 without issue. However, when pulled the 245's off it was discovered that the suspension on passenger side had worn a deep groove in side of the tire just above rim. They showed it to me. Back was rubbing some. I'm glad hadn't run them any longer. After discussion with the techs...the 255 certainly were not going on. But I didn't carefully check & they did not make comment about the driver side. They said suspension tight. My old tires wore evenly & rarely rotated. Any ideas of what the issue might be. The 245's are not significantly wider than the 235's and from all the rim & tire size calculators should have cleared with no issues at all.

One thing is the front passenger side squawks when first start out with the bouncing on the drive but disappears once down the road. The 97 does that also & it has all new front suspension. Not sure related in any way. But will probably have the front suspension checked elsewhere. I do like to have an idea of what the issue might be in advance tho as good mechanics hard to find here.

I have a 97 with stock 15's & new Cooper Discover AT3 235's so will probably move them to the 98 (regular driver) on Tuesday & then look at all the 245's carefully & try to get mechanic to give opinion on any suspension issues. Right now it looks like need to go back to 235's. Heading more to a highway tire instead of the at3's which like (have on my pu also). I sold my stock 15's so wondering about 235/70/16's if need to go back to a narrower tire.. Even searching for used 15" rims which are not common these days. Bit nervous about the shorter sidewall but other specs same so should not rub anywhere. Anybody running 235/70/16's or little taller? Any change is handling? Do they look strange? I live in the country with lots of curves, up & down & rain & roads not in best condition so don't want a harsh ride. Probably 50/50 freeway vs 2 lane & long gravel drive.

Any input, suggestions on what could be issue etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Yes, it's funny but the 15's seem to be getting rarer. One place to find them may be a towing yard, I found the spare tire I needed there. Cars got crashed but the tires were still good!

The 3rd gen wheels have about a 44mm offset while 2nd gen only 12mm. Your tire size calculator didn't take into account the offset putting the tire closer to the suspension?

So narrower tire on the 3rd gen rims, spacers (which can work but I hate to recommend them as another variable), or different rims like maybe 2nd gen 16"?

This site is handy:

J_C is exactly right. The third Gen wheels fit, but the offset is very different. Go back to the factory wheels, or you’re going to end up with a much smaller tire to get them to clear.

When you say the suspension wore a groove into the tire, what part of the suspension exactly?
And is this the front tire? It’s not clear to me from your wording.
If you still have those 245s, I would mount one and get under there and look how much clearance you do or don’t have.
Thanks, I'm not up on nomenclature of the suspension. It had worn the paint off rounded joint & polished it. If it warms up enough today, 16 now, I'll take that wheel off & take a pictures. Right now its parked & was waiting for mechanic friend to come Tuesday/tomorrow to help. But from what saw there certainly isn't clearance for some reason or it wouldn't have rubbed like that.

Any input on tire size 235/70r16 or taller especially related to handling & ride?
The 3rd gen wheels have about a 44mm offset while 2nd gen only 12mm. Your tire size calculator didn't take into account the offset putting the tire closer to the suspension?

So narrower tire on the 3rd gen rims, spacers (which can work but I hate to recommend them as another variable), or different rims like maybe 2nd gen 16"?

This site is handy:
Thank you! I had been wondering about the offset but hadn't found the difference. That solves the mystery.

I had found wheel-size.com but didn't know what values to use & used the wrong wheels as was using 1998 mountaineer instead of the 3rd generation wheels. Didn't think to check for differences. You provided the missing info! Now just need figure out how to use the info to determine what if any tire I can use on those rims. Thinking might need to search out my generation 15 or 16's & start over. I really wasn't wanting to get into spacers nor invest in different wheels if could help it
Thanks again!

Back