Question about heater actuator 2005 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about heater actuator 2005 Explorer

jtab4994

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT
So, over the winter our actuator went bad, started making a loud clicking noise. Took it to our local mechanic who said it was a big job, didn't have time to do it, but he disconnected it to stop the clicking. The heater works, but just blows on Defrost and Face which is OK. So we lived with it as-is because my wife was due for a new car anyway (which she got).

But the A/C hasn't worked all summer, which is OK because our son is driving it now and he can tough it out or buy his own car!

Now I want to try to fix it myself. Do you think the lack of A/C is related to the actuator? Just want to know what to expect when/if I take a crack at fixing it.

The clicking is usually the blend door actuator. There’s vidoes on how to replace it. I’m guessing it’s just stuck in the heat position.

Plug it back in, turn it to extreme cold or extreme heat, then unplug and remove it. You need to make sure the new one is on the same position.

I’ve replace two of them so far.

Here’s a link to a video on it. I posted some steps at the bottom of the thread.

Clicking Temp Blend Actuator Removal

The clicking is usually the blend door actuator. There’s vidoes on how to replace it. I’m guessing it’s just stuck in the heat position.

Plug it back in, turn it to extreme cold or extreme heat, then unplug and remove it. You need to make sure the new one is on the same position.

I’ve replace two of them so far.

Here’s a link to a video on it. I posted some steps at the bottom of the thread.

Clicking Temp Blend Actuator Removal

Hi, I just wanted to say that I replaced the blend door actuator yesterday! I tested out both heat & AC, and all seems to be working now.
Only thing is, since it was so awkward and difficult to get to the 3 screws holding the thing in place, I only managed to get 1 back in before I gave up on the other 2. I wanted to get at least 2 in, but it just wasn't happening. It only has to hold for another couple of years while my son drives it at college!

Back