Question about paint on 2002 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about paint on 2002 Explorer

I was wondering if the textured trim on tyhe outside of my xlt( you know the gray crap cladding) ...if it can be painted...I saw one on cardomain and he painted his I guess...didn't say anything about getting new trim from dealer that was pint to match...cause ford offers paint to match and grey textured for my year model....but looking at his pic that paint sure was smooth......just wondering if anybody has done this or could enlighten me on this....

Thanks,
Karter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can paint it you just need to find your paint code on the driver door should be like 2 letters mine is TS for metallic silver frost here is a website to help you find yours and you can also buy paint from them also and i guess you could always take it too a shop to get painted like blackmagic did with his awesome X or DIY.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintcodelocations.htm

i would like to do this to my X but just haven't had the time or funds.

Well...I know where the paint codes are..I am a parts manager at a dealership......I guess what I was asking...does painting the textured material look like crap or does it come out smooth....

Karter

basically...who has pics

Paint wont fill in a textured surfaace. I painted the trim on my 96 X and thought it looked as good or better than the factory job. Only problem is that no matter how much flex agent is in the paint it will chip. Factory color is usually moulded in and not succiptable(sp?) to chipping.

Talk to Black Magic he has his done and it looks awesome he might be able to help you.

cool...will do ions...thanks

Back