Question about Rear Hub/Bearing/Knuckle Pressing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about Rear Hub/Bearing/Knuckle Pressing

Drumkrazy01

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
A buddy of mine pressed my new bearing on to my new hub. The machine shop is now telling me that he has to separate the bearing from the hub, press the bearing into the back of the knuckle and then press the hub into the bearing from the front of the knuckle....ruining the brand new bearing and costing me an additional $120.00. Is this the way it should be done or am I getting bilked out of more money?

A buddy of mine pressed my new bearing on to my new hub. The machine shop is now telling me that he has to separate the bearing from the hub, press the bearing into the back of the knuckle and then press the hub into the bearing from the front of the knuckle....ruining the brand new bearing and costing me an additional $120.00. Is this the way it should be done or am I getting bilked out of more money?

It depends on whether the outside race of the bearing seats against it's stop in the knuckle in an outboard or inboard position. Can't recall mine exactly, but I believe the bearing must be seated in the knuckle FIRST, from back to front, then the hub pressed into the bearing I.D. already in the knuckle. Sorry!

Reason for this is to ensure bearing cannot work it's way outward in service; it's up against a lip in the knuckle. imp

Back