• Register Today It's free!

rear hub bearing

wojack

Reaction score
City, State
lansing mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer xls
I have humming sound from the driver side rear. i was told it was the rear hub bearing .I have a 2002 explorer has any one changed one? How hard is it to change is it pressed in thanks ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have humming sound from the driver side rear. i was told it was the rear hub bearing .I have a 2002 explorer has any one changed one? How hard is it to change is it pressed in thanks ron
replaced right rear on mine a few months back. it started out sounding like a tire - because it is not a typical rear end with axle tubes it did not sound like a bearing. as it got worse i was able to identify it when i leaned on it in curves. hard left curves it got much loader, a quick jerk to the right and it would go away. not a bad job to replace but will need a stout press.

I have a 2002 XLT and am on my 3rd right rear hub, needing to go to my 4th. Sounds like its a pretty common problem with that year.

I have to replace a rear bearing on my 02 Explorer. Can someone elaborate on any processes needed to replace it? Does buying the wheel bearing repair kit avoid the need for a press tool?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey punkinhead, where are you seeing a wheel bearing "KIT"? I took my 02 in to my mechanic to have mine pressed in. I'm not sure what the "kit" consists of but...?

I have to replace a rear bearing on my 02 Explorer. Can someone elaborate on any processes needed to replace it? Does buying the wheel bearing repair kit avoid the need for a press tool?

Any help would be appreciated.

All I can say is that it's not the most challenging thing in the world, but it is ripe with frustration for sure.

I am sure someone will correct something I did, but here are some of the main issues that you would need to be ready for and have patience with in some cases.

1) Removing the rotor - depending on the last time you removed it and the status of the parts in there, this easy job can become frustrating as the rotor will often bind on the inner e-brake pads. Not too bad though with patience or luck.

2) You have to use a spreader to get the ball joints (2) removed from the knuckle. I have never done this without slitting the rubber protectant booty somewhere. And I have never found replacement booties, so I just get them glued back up with RTV! *laughs* Still, the right tool here helps a lot to remove those ball joints.

3) I happen to work at a factory as an engineer, so I have full access to a work shop with a nice hydraulic press that I do not have in my own garage. However, you will want a press to push out the old bearing and one to press in the new one.

NOTE : Be very careful when you push in the new bearing. It is best to push on the outer chase or you can physically damage the bearing as you press it in. I found a tool that was the same diameter as the bearing (or just barely slightly under) and used that between the press ram and the bearing to transfer the load out to where I wanted it on the bearing. With a press, this is not a bad part of the job. Without a press - good luck!! As someone else said, you can get a mechanic to press it together too.

Good luck - I hate changing the rears!

I have an 02 EB and it has 73k miles. What type of noise does a wheel bearing make when it needs to be replaced? The other day it sounded like the rear brakes might be getting ready to be replaced when my wife was backing out of driveway (light scraping noise). Today, she calls me to tell me that it sounded like a plane was overhead when she was driving. The noise is coming from the right rear.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Mine made a "roaring" kind of noise at highway speeds that got worse and better as I kind of veered right or left.

Back