• Register Today It's free!

Question about rear noise

margo62145

Reaction score
City, State
margo62145@yahoo.com
Year, Model & Trim Level
margo62145@yahoo.com
I have a 2000 and for about the first 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile when I first accelerate from a stop, there is an intermittent "thunk" or "clunk" sound from the back of the vehicle. It sounds like it's coming from the middle area back by the wheels. It isn't the transmission sound, as I can hear that and it sounds ok. It is much louder, a real CLUNK. It's got me freaked out and wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing and might know what it is. I'm living just on my Soc Sec retirement so it's really difficult to come up with the $ to diagnose. I drove it from Oregon to Texas with no problems, but it wasn't doing this noise that much back then. Maybe just once. Now when I accelerate it seems to happen maybe 5 or 6 times in that short distance. Help! thanks!;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 and for about the first 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile when I first accelerate from a stop, there is an intermittent "thunk" or "clunk" sound from the back of the vehicle. It sounds like it's coming from the middle area back by the wheels. It isn't the transmission sound, as I can hear that and it sounds ok. It is much louder, a real CLUNK. It's got me freaked out and wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing and might know what it is. I'm living just on my Soc Sec retirement so it's really difficult to come up with the $ to diagnose. I drove it from Oregon to Texas with no problems, but it wasn't doing this noise that much back then. Maybe just once. Now when I accelerate it seems to happen maybe 5 or 6 times in that short distance. Help! thanks!;)

Just take it some where and change the rear fluid I had that problem and it fixed it.

it could be your shocks. if they r really worn out they can make a clunking sound.

it could be your shocks. if they r really worn out they can make a clunking sound.

He said goes away after a few seconds I think he just needs to change the rear fluid I had the same problem with mine

I have the exact same issue but I know it is coming from the shocks because they need to be replaced. I would have them (shocks) looked at if you cant tell if they are in good condition. Good Luck:)

if ur shock is bad it will be really soft. u can test softness by jumping on the bumper. if it feels nice and tight and bounces back up quickly then ur shocks r good. if it feels soft when u jump then they r worn. u could probably look at them and be able to tell. i know here in ohio u will see lots of rust on old worn out shocks.

He said goes away after a few seconds I think he just needs to change the rear fluid I had the same problem with mine

it wouldnt hurt to change ur fluid in the rear differential. u can also get a good visual on ur gears,. if u jack up both back tires at once u can spin ur tires and be able to check every single teeth. also be sure that before u remove ur deifferntial cover, be sure that u can remove your fill plug. lol.

Back