question about rear differential seal | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about rear differential seal

so i just got back from the parts store.....

i looked at buying pure synthetic, but for $15 a quart, i honestly can't even afford it right now. my other options were: valvoline synthetic blend (80w90), valvoline regular oil(75w140), or Coastal brand synthetic (80w90)....

you said not to use dino oil, so i went with the synthetic blend. is the 80w90 going to be bad? should i have gone with the dino at 75w140? please help, i want to do this today, but don't want to use the wrong oil!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

toddious said:
you said not to use dino oil, so i went with the synthetic blend. is the 80w90 going to be bad? should i have gone with the dino at 75w140? please help, i want to do this today, but don't want to use the wrong oil!!!!

man i forget what its supposed to be.. but dino oil is fine.

well, i ended up getting an off-brand (walmart) synthetic that is the recommended 75w140. hopefully this will work out ok. on the bottle, however, it says "for limited slip, use for top-off only"..... would it still be ok in my LS as long as i add the friction modifier?

Sounds kind of like that IS the friction modifier. It says for top off only.

ok, so i have not been able to get the fill plug off. i have soaked it at least 3 times with PB blaster, and still not luck. It's a total PITA because it uses a 3/8" driver. I am using a 3" extension to make it easier, but it is not budging. i don't want to strip it, because then it will be 10x worse. Anyone have any tips? thanks, todd.

IZwack said:
umm i think its more than one quart of gear oil.

I know it's more than a quart -- he said it was leaking and he asked what it'd take to refill. I didn't know -- so I said probably one quart to bring it back up to the full level. I didnt know he was taking the cover off and all that jazz.

-Drew

toddious said:
ok, so i have not been able to get the fill plug off. i have soaked it at least 3 times with PB blaster, and still not luck. It's a total PITA because it uses a 3/8" driver. I am using a 3" extension to make it easier, but it is not budging. i don't want to strip it, because then it will be 10x worse. Anyone have any tips? thanks, todd.

I gave you some tips on your other thread.

-Drew

Back