Question about Solid Axle Conversion. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about Solid Axle Conversion.

amigodana

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx.
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp 2WD conv. to 4WD
I am starting to do my research on doing a solid axle conversion and I am curious about how many still use or feel like it would still be safe to use as a daily driver? I do not want to do this for off roading but for the idea of having less maintenance with a solid axle than with the IFS that is on my truck now, which is a 98 xlt 5.0.

For a DD..... I could do it in mine, and I have driven it for a week straight, but it's not ideal. For me, my front sway bar, when connected (which is basically anytime I'm on pavement), hits my tires if I turn too sharp. For the most part, maneuvering in a parking lot can be done like normal, as long as I plan ahead and swing in. Otherwise, I have to 3 point a turn into a parking space. I use the factory sway bar. It's placement could probably be improved for this, but since I don't drive it that much like this, it's not that big of a deal.

Ride height: stay fairly low if you aren't going offroad. Staying low should also keep death wobble problems down. I need to stay on top of keeping things tight to prevent it on mine. In this regard, a SAS is way more maintenance than IFS.

Springs: I use coil springs. I first had 182 lb/in Rubicon Express 5.5" XJ coils. Too soft. Even with the sway bar. I changed them out to Iron Rock Offroad ZJ 7" springs and after cutting 2 coils off, I estimate the spring rate is around 280 lb/in. This is MUCH better on my rig. I do have a heavy steel bumper and winch on the front though.

Personally, SAS is a huge undertaking for a street driven DD. IFS isn't that big of a deal really.

Hearing it like that, I may just stay away from it on my DD. Thanks for your detailed answer!

Back