Question about Transfer Case and motor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about Transfer Case and motor

Red_Lion

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0XLT
I have been working on my 96 Explorer 4x4 for over a year now trying to get the damn thing run and shift properly. I have had tranny rebuilt...twice...and have had wire harness replaced twice....solenoids B and C replaced FIVE times! All electrical issues seem OK....and a transmission guy said it is the transfer case motor.This confuses me....because isn't that for 4x4 high and low only? That doesn't have anything to do with it not shifting after 50-60mph, correct? I asked him if he just meant the transfer case itself...and not the motor....but he said it is the motor....and it can affect the while tranny ....so....is this correct? Can someone shed some light on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any answers for my question about the transfer case motor? Has someone dealt with this before or knows if the transfer case motor is linked to 2wd not shifting after 50-60mph?

Anyone out there able to assist?

Also, I have have tested my 4x4 drive and it doesn't work, the light comes on, but no shifting and it doesn't work at all, only 2WD works. So not sure if this, and the transfer motor have anything to do with 2WDnot shifting when it gets to 50-60 mph, but would love to know if anyone out there has any guidance or advice to help out.

Well, always shift ur 4wd while main cranny is in neutral. Go to 4 hi in some loose gravel or ice and floor it have somebody watch to see if the front wheels spin too. If not the trans case shift motor may b bad. It's easy nuff to locate on back of transfer case held on by3 10 mm bolts if u pull it off and watch the triangle shaped hole if u turn the switch on dash and that motor is prob bad. Assuming all wire is intact....that's what I had to do neway

so, your transmission is a 5r55e?
Im no mechanic, but at the same time I find it really hard to believe the transfer case shift motor would stop the transmission from shifting. They are really two completely seperate circuits.

Back