question for optima/dual battery users | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question for optima/dual battery users

1meanGTA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer
i'm about to hook up my group 31a optima yellow top in addition to the stock exide battery. hooking it up is no problem, but securing it and possibly hiding it will be. the thing is huge, bigger than the regular optimas and it's shaped funny. how can i get the thing to stay put in the rear, and is there anyplace i could hide it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what about that cargo pocket thing like where a stealth box

oops i forgot to finish that statement...i ment where a stealth box would go. stick it back there and put your stock sub cover back on (just realized you have an eddie bauer so you dont have that pocket, youve got a sub there, but obviously you dont use it with those 15s) so i'd pull that box out put the battery in, wire it all up and put the stock cover on

any room under tha back seats?

in my 04 i have my G31 and a G34 batt under tha back seat with a good bit room left over

I have two optimas in my stock location, it wasn't easy to get them to fit but they do.

when i add batteries i usually try to weld a small tray (like 1" bar around the base) and then i use the cheap "battery tie-down" kit from walmart.

the battery will "fit" into the tray (you could use angle bar and bolt this in too), and the tie down will ensure it doesn't move.

my starter battery is mounted in that manner where the stock sub used to be.

my other 6 deep cycles are just held in (on their sides) by angle brackets/my subwoofer enclosure.

still need a way to actually secure the battery. i think the stock sub location will work. i found some g31a battery mounts on ebay for like 100-150 bucks each, i dont really want to spend almost enough to buy another battery just to get the thing bolted down.

didnt see your post before i made mine expo. do you have any pictures of your battery rack?

The cheapest, and easiest way to conceal the battery is to mount it in a plastic battery box. You don't need any special hold downs, or trays. You could use carriage bolts to mount it to the frame in the rear. I've seen some pictures in another thread of somebody mounting the second battery (without a box) under the hood, so it's possible, but very cramped.

i don't have a picture of my starter battery.

i'm sure if you go and buy one of those battery tie down kits you'll be able to work something out similar

Like this?

E-mail me privately @ spdrcer34@aol.com to get the details. I will NOT put it out here for everyone to see.

Ryan

wtf not?

1meanGTA -- I have a '97 4.0L and fit two Optimas under the hood with no new brackets/welding. I put the second battery behind the passenger headlight. You have to move stuff around, but you can make everything fit. For hold-downs, I use ratcheting straps. Also, be sure you put a power isolator between those batteries or you'll have a mess of problems. Check out my thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167430

You can mount Optima batteries any way you want, even upside down. Perks of the gel cells. Also, they release no acid, and don't require to be ventilated if put in the passenger compartment.

Basically, you can get as creative as you want to.

don't need an isolator between two "same" batteries

ratchet strap works- but isn't going to look great when anyone else sees it

i'm about to hook up my group 31a optima yellow top in addition to the stock exide battery. hooking it up is no problem, but securing it and possibly hiding it will be. the thing is huge, bigger than the regular optimas and it's shaped funny. how can i get the thing to stay put in the rear, and is there anyplace i could hide it?

Those batteries may not "get along". Usually you want to stick with the same battery style/type/brand or something along those lines. When I tried running a stocker batt up front and a exide orbital deep cycle in back in my old 95 exploder the stocker died roughly a month later.

1meanGTA -- I have a '97 4.0L and fit two Optimas under the hood with no new brackets/welding. I put the second battery behind the passenger headlight. You have to move stuff around, but you can make everything fit. For hold-downs, I use ratcheting straps. Also, be sure you put a power isolator between those batteries or you'll have a mess of problems. Check out my thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167430

Are you really a meter-man? I do it one day a week for overtime pay here for the local PD. :D I piss soo many folks off...

Are you really a meter-man? I do it one day a week for overtime pay here for the local PD. :D I piss soo many folks off...

Lol, I'm kinda a meter maid. I'm a CSO (Community Service Officer) at the CSU Chico State Police. That means I do a little of everything, and some ticket writing. My favorite to write are the handicap stall violations...$280 here!!!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, I'm kinda a meter maid. I'm a CSO (Community Service Officer) at the CSU Chico State Police. That means I do a little of everything, and some ticket writing. My favorite to write are the handicap stall violations...$280 here!!!:D

Dam! Our Handicap vio's are only $50... our fines are low, but booting people is always fun, especially when they are standing there helpless! :D
I only do this saturdays, had fun today... rest of the time I handle the front desk of the station, all calls etc.

Back