• Register Today It's free!

Question on Intermittent Miss

greasemanicure

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4X4 4R->5R mod
Our 96 Ex 4.0 OHV is throwing a code for a misfire on cylinder 4. No others. I've already done the plugs and wires. The coil pack was flaky on cylinder 2 so I changed that. Clear the codes and it will run without misfires for maybe five miles. The misfires do not seem to affect acceleration, etc. until you park it for a short while and then restart. Then the roughness and poor performance starts and the detected misfires do not make a difference. Spark is strong on 4 and all the others. Fuel pressure is in the mid-30s and seems steady enough. I've tried to find the injector for cylinder 4 to give a 'listen' but it seems to be buried under the intake, etc. I was tempted to pull the plug on the PCM to measure the resistance of the injectors from there. Any suggestions as to where I should look next will be appreciated.
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check/clean/replace the injector on that cylinder it may be bad and will throw the same miss code.

Pointer, please

Thanks! Looking for injector #4, I am having a bit of difficulty being sure that I am on the right one. Is there a thread that someone can point me to on changing injectors on a 4.0 OHV? I've searched and find articles on testing,etc. but not one yet on how to excavate down to change injectors.... what is necessary to remove and what is convenient to remove...

Thanks again!
Joe

it's been a while since I've worked on an OHV motor, but I think you need to remove the upper intake and then the fuel rail (should be 4 screws holding it down). Be sure to release the pressure from the fuel rail before you try to remove the injectors. On reassembly use a bit of dielectric grease (tune up grease) on the orings it will make them slip right together.

Thanks! Is there a gasket to replace when I remove the upper air intake? You can tell that I've been found under the vehicle more than leaning over it.
Joe

Back