question on wheel bearing torque spec | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question on wheel bearing torque spec

If the truck is off its tires on jack stands and you are in 2wd the front axle will not turn. When the truck is on the ground and you're are driving in 2wd the front axle will turn if you have automatic locking hubs. This is not because the hubs are locked per se, but because the rolling of the wheel is turning the axle shafts freely, this is how you can shift on the fly. With a manual locking hub in free the axle does not spin, you can not shift into 4HI because the rear axle is spinning and the front is not bad things will happen to the t/case. Does that make sense.
Ok, I'm going to agree with you, but I still can't wrap my head around how all that works. I guess that makes sense being that 410Fortune suggested taking the front drive shaft off to see if the noise was still there. I will be putting on new radius arm bushings, drivers side wheel bearings, ball joint(s) and an alignment. So, I guess we'll see from there. Thank you for your help.

Well, I was able to figure it out. It was the driver's side inner wheel bearing. You can see how the old race is pitted. It's still wild how it was acting like was the passenger side. But thankfully no noise anymore.
I still plan on doing radius arm bushings, ball joints and alignment. Thanks again for all of yalls help.

20240115_134634.jpg

Back