Question to those who have installed James Duff coil buckets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question to those who have installed James Duff coil buckets

mechjames

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
I have a question to those who have installed james duff coil buckets.

I installed the passengers side coil bucket and then went to install the drop bracket on the passengers side. The drop bracket doesn't sit flush with the frame, it hits the coil bucket.
Should I grind the corner of the coil bucket maybe 1/8-1/4 inch so the drop bracket sits flush at the frame?
I noticed the bottom of the coil bucket isn't sitting quite flush with the frame either (see pictures)
Should I loosen the 3 bolts on the side and bolt it in the bottom first so it's tight against the frame, then use a drill and slot out the 3 side holes to where the bucket sits?

Also the explorer has bump stops on both sides. The hole is half inch on the pass side bucket, but the frame isn't because the bump stop bolt is small. Does the bump stop get eliminated and the hole enlarged on the frame so a 5th bolt can be used to hold the coil bucket (3 on side, 2 on bottom), or just 4 bolts hold the coil bucket (plus the 2 for the shock mount)
Ke2yJskl.jpg

pennCLll.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That mount doesn't look right. In the picture it looks like the plate is warped. Call Duff and talk with them. I have their radius arms and have called them a few times. They should be able to answer your question.

Well I talked to them, they said just grind the corner of the bucket, not necessary to notch the holes to move the bucket up 1/4 in, so that's what I did and everything fits mint now:
EDZgopkl.jpg

K2R9Yc8l.jpg

Looks good, the key to installing those lifts is to put everything in loose and once it's all in tighten it up to see ... Makes it easier to install...
Good to see others from BC on here happy trails...

Front part is done, now to do the back

Attachments

• IMG_20150104_161844.jpg
    IMG_20150104_161844.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 221

Back