Questions about Towing Capabilities of Stock Mounty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about Towing Capabilities of Stock Mounty

Alright, here is my situation. I have stock '05 Mounty V6 with the tow package. It has a Class II hitch. I have towed with it before, but nothing over a uhaul trailer loaded with a one bedroom apartment.
My wife and I were asked to tow a '73 Mustang project car complete with rebuilt engine and trany, tools, and other parts and accessories. For the one or two of you that are wondering, no, the engine and transmission are not installed.
We would be traveling about 350 miles from Harlingen to Austin, TX. I have full confidence in my engine and transmission to get it done. The Mounty has 150,000 miles but she runs strong and shifts smooth. I have almost no confidence in the Class II hitch.
Is the hitch capable of doing something like this? My first thought was yes, but my second is no.
You guys have any opinions? Questions? Statements? Prayers?
I welcome them all...

A class 3 hitch is too cheap and easy to install to risk it. I'd upgrade... I've got a 2500 lb camper and I installed a class 3 before towing it with my V6 Mounty. Wasn't gonna take the chance of damaging the vehicle or the camper....

The only "tow package" that you have is what came stock on the vehicle. If you have the class 2 receiver, then you do not have any additional help (no extra cooling, no extra wiring, no extra help in axle gearing, etc). By saying its "stock", perhaps you already know that.

The facts:
You have a 3500 lbs max tow rating, and only 8000 lbs GCVWR (combined vehicle rating). The Mounty V6 is probably 4800 lbs empty (check your door sticker...my V8 AWD Premier is just over 5000 empty). Add you and the DW, and some luggage, and you are at least 5200 lbs.

8000-5200 = 2800 lbs.

So, if that car, engine, gear, and the trailer all add up to 2800 lbs or less, go for it! But since the trailer itself is likely more than 2800 lbs, you do not have enough truck for this task. Yes, the class 2 is a weak point, but surely not the only one. You would need to add more cooling, as well as upgrade the axle gearing.

It sounds like you've taken good care of this vehlcle. Why stop now? Whoever asked you to move this car, politely tell them that you don't have enough capacity.

Thanks for the insight! I managed to convince the wife that it wasn't a good idea. Needless to say, it took much longer than I thought. I have to apologize for not reporting in sooner. We just bought a house, and I'm dealing with all that hoopla. Then this past Sunday, my wife's 2011 Escape was struck by lightning. But, that's a post for another day.

Back