Questions on 4.0 vs 5.0 and tow package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on 4.0 vs 5.0 and tow package

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
I have had two explorers 95 2wd and 00 4wd, and the current 00 is suffering the SOHC timing chain problem. It still runs but will eventually die a slow, maybe sudden, death.

Here are the questions: We have towed with both, a 19 ft boat, using the bumper hitch, yes I know that is not the best and want to get away from it.
Do all the 5.0 have the tow package? Since I am new at the tow package from factory, how will I know if it is factory or aftermarket? What else comes with the tow package? Gears? Brakes? Radiator?
I am assuming the 5.0 has the better trans than the 4.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 has much better trans.. and no not all 5.0s have tow package.. to my understanding the tow package has a trans cooler, 3.73 gears, and under the bumper it has a hitch.
someone can correct me if im wrong.

I have a 97 Limited and a 97 Eddie Bauer, both with the 5.0 V8.

I'm not sure about either having a "tow package" per se, but both have trans coolers; both have 3.73 gears; both had a 4 pin and 7 pin Ford factory harness where the jack is kept and a connector for them under the bumper.

Maybe I just got lucky but these were all things that just happened to come with both.

Neither had a hitch, just pulled one off a V6 from the junk yard and it bolted right up.

I haven't come across anything like a radiator or brakes specific to a towing package application when searching for replacement parts - open to being corrected as I'm curious as well.

I have a 97 mounty and 97 eddie bauer. Both have v8s, both have trans coolers, both had the wiring for a trailer under the bumper. One has 3:55's, one had 3:73. Neither came factory with a hitches. I think the v8s just came with 3:73 or 3:55 gears everything else was the same across the board. Depending on year the factory tire size could be different. My merc was 235/75-15 with 3:73s. It was spunky. The exploder has 3:55s and now has 245/75-16s (more like the newer models), little doggy.

Both werre factory awd also. Don't know if the 2wd maybe came different.

5.0 has much better trans.. and no not all 5.0s have tow package.. to my understanding the tow package has a trans cooler, 3.73 gears, and under the bumper it has a hitch.
someone can correct me if im wrong.

also, stiffer rear springs i believe.

The tow package was having a trans cooler and a limited slip diff.

If you have AWD your truck has limited slip. My unit has all the "tow package" items mentioned except it never had a receiver hitch. I have a hunch all 5.0 trucks are considered tow package, this weekend I'll dig out my manuals and find out for certain....

Bill

If you have AWD your truck has limited slip. My unit has all the "tow package" items mentioned except it never had a receiver hitch. I have a hunch all 5.0 trucks are considered tow package, this weekend I'll dig out my manuals and find out for certain....

Bill

both of my 2wd's have limited slip, only one has the towing package.

Tow package was a vehicle specific item, it honestly changed depending on what the setup was. Across the board it gave you a trans cooler and beefier wiring for the turn signals and brake lights. When I mean beefier, it was basically a step up in gauge in the body harness and a 15amp fuse under the hood. Thats about all that was common from each trim and engine package.

The best setup would be one with v8 and trans cooler as I believe all V8s came with 3.73lt even in 2wd options.

I have a 97 XLT OHC w/ 3.55 Open Diffs w/ Tow Package, :) She is the odd ball.

Back