Does the V8 Tow Package have en external Trans Cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the V8 Tow Package have en external Trans Cooler?

bobinyelm

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Explorer Ltd AWD
2000 Explorer 5.0 Limited AWD

Wondering if my new-to-me Explorer has an external trans oil cooler with the factory tow package. I have the window sticker and options list and they both show the tow package w/ 3.73 differential gearing.

I don't see it behind the grille where they usually reside in front of the A/C condenser, but given the 6800 pound tow capacity I'd think there would be one.

I forgot to look underneath when I had the vehicle on stands yesterday for other work to look for fluid lines. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All my V8's have the external trans cooler. Whether they have to towing pkg or not. My ST does also. IDK about the '97 Sport. Can't recall.

Edit: The Sport has it too.

All my V8's have the external trans cooler. Whether they have to towing pkg or not. My ST does also. IDK about the '97 Sport. Can't recall.

Where is it located?

Is it between the A/C Condenser and the radiator where it's not visible?

You should be able to see it through the grille.

Where is it located?

It it between the A/C Condenser and the radiator where it's not visible?

IIRC it's in front of the A/C condenser. It's on the passenger side.

IIRC it's in front of the A/C condenser. It's on the passenger side.

The A/C condenser fully covers the opening behind the grille.

There is nothing in front of the A/C condenser unless it's totally off to one side behind the headlight (I didn't look there and it's dark now).

I'll look again tomorrow.

Usually trans coolers are relatively small, as small as 4" X 10" and maybe 10" X 12", and are plainly visible.

The aux trans cooler on my 2000 Ranger & my wife's 99 Sport are mounted in the same spots at the lower part of the front of the radiator support in front of the a/c condenser.

I can easily see all of mine through the grille.

Back