Questions on Intake and Exhaust Mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on Intake and Exhaust Mods

imq707s

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 97 Explorer with a 5.0 motor. I'm thinking about adding a True-Rev intake kit and maybe a Flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust system. Here are some questions I have for anyone who has added these mods to their Explorer.

1. Will I notice any improvments from adding only the intake kit? Will it improve MPG.

2. How loud is the FlowMaster exhaust? Is it noisy on the highway. I want an exhaust that sounds cool when you mash the gas, but is quiet when your cruising around. Will I notice any MPG improvments with the exhaust?

3. Will I need to reset the computer after these mods?\

4. How much of a HP gain will I see from both of these mods?

Thanks for the help.

I did notice some MPG gains after adding my filtercharger and magnaflow exhaust. I think it was 3-4 MPG. My biggest mileage increase was after installing my chip. This K&N and exhaust put together probably gave me about 20-25 HP. At least that's what it feels like. The response also got A LOT better.

Magnaflow exhaust is usually quieter than Flowmaster, but there are a lot of posts here about Flowmaster so do some searching. When you do the mods, disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnect it to reset the computer.

Good Luck!

You will definatly have some gain in MPG with both mods, the amount varries with driving style and conditions. The Flowmaster can be heared both when you get on it and while cruzin. It won't be untolerable, but it will be present. Usually having the radio on at normal volume will cover most of the sound created by the Flowmaster.

If you get a K&N Filtercharger, you will notice much better throttle response and better acceleration. Even with a cut out air box, I did not get any improvement in MPG.

Depends on which one you buy. I have the catback system they are currently selling for the 96, and it is a little quieter than i'd like, but is definitely louder than stock...especially on acceleration. If you buy just one of the Delta series muffler, the Flowmaster people can tell you what you can expect from the exhaust note...but you'll have to have your local shop bend a new exhaust pipe. The catback system includes all the pipes. I did not see an improvement in MPG with the system.

I DID get a 10% or better increase in MPG after installing a Superchips.

Yes, you'll need to reset the computer after any alteration to fuel/air systems. Just pull the negative terminal and let it sit for ten minutes, then hook it back up.

Haven't got any idea exactly how many HP I've increased my Explorer...but I am very pleased with the result.

Back