QUICK again..installed apten but fuel pump relay is messed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

QUICK again..installed apten but fuel pump relay is messed up

alphabets13

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer Premier
when i try to start the X, in the auxillary position my fuel pump relay is buzzing and the truck will not turn over. did i blow the relay somehow and why did it do this? has it happenned before to anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the relay is buzzing, try switching it with another un-important relay like fogs or something. If it still does it, call brian. If not, goto autozone and buy a new relay before dark ;)

well, i just removed the chip and everything works fine, so it's not the relay. i'm going to re-clean the chip and try again.

i maticulously cleaned the chip again and still the relay buzzes and won't start. i think i may be one of the few with a bad chip.

Originally posted by alphabets13
i maticulously cleaned the chip again and still the relay buzzes and won't start. i think i may be one of the few with a bad chip.

Seems to be more than a few bad chips lately. That is keeping me from buying a chip right now.

I had the same problem as you, only no buzzing, and i wasnt running a chip. You would turn the key one click, listen for the pump to run, and then start the truck. Well when i did this, the pump didnt run, and it made no noise. So before my dumbass even gave 2 thoughts to check the relay, i dropped the gas tank. And after getting all the gas in it out of it, I had to spend even more time getting it down. So once it was down I replaced the pump, and still didnt work. F***!! So i looked at the relay and it was all corroded, so I sprayed it with some brakes part cleaner, cleaned it up real nice, plugged it back in, and O YES THE EXPO IS BACK. So make sure you check everything before you go thorugh the mess of dropping the gas tank, cause that sucks.

I had the same problem, Only it was more like a ticking sound. When I would start the truck it made a loud tick,tick, tick, sound really loud. I got in touch with Brian and he got right on it. I would say do the same give Brian a call, He'll work with you to find the problem. He's helping me right now. And he doesn't waste any time.:)

of all the vehicles to put a chip in, explorers and rangers are the most difficult. The actual installation is easy, but there's a small chance that either your service port is disabled or the EEC has been reflashed. We probably sell around 50 truck chips a month, and of that there's probably 5 people that need a little support to get them working. The most common problem vehicles are 96-2000's, but occasionally we do see newer ones that have been dealer reflashed.

Compared to mustangs, this rate is pretty high. We have a dealer that we support that sells to mainly mustangs. He sells just as many chips to that crowd as we do trucks, and I can't remember the last time he ran into a mustang with a service port disabled.

A lot of times we will ship 20-25 out at a time, and that's probably why occasionally you will see 2-3 people post that may have starting problems at the same time.

Rest assured that these problems can be solved, and they will in no way harm your computer. If you do get a chip and have problems, we can always offer a refund too if you don't have time to troubleshoot with us.

Brian

i'm going to try one more time and if it still doesn't work then i'll contact you Brian. i definitely do not want a refund. i want this chip and i'm in no hurry. i'll troubleshoot with you as long as it takes for this baby to kick in. ttyl.

Should have mine in a few days and will give a report.

I just got an installed mine... same exact problem.
What was the fix? Did you send your computer back? I am about to fork out some soldering iron action ;)

What was your problem? It wouldn't start? Because that's my problem the truck just won't start. I'm on my 2nd chip and it still won't start. But I'm working with Brian and he'll get to the bottom of this "PLUG AND NO GO" I'd do the same get in touch with Brian and let him know what is going on.

i will make my final test tommorow. i just wanted to make sure that no 89 octane was left in the tank since i got an 91+ perf. chip and i also told brian i had a gibson exhaust, but i just installed it today. if it does not work tommorow i'll have to work w/ brian and send it back to tweak it. i'll give an update tommorow night gang.

I dont know if you can go without your truck for a couple days but if you can I would send brian the ecu also. This way if the service port is disabled he can enable it or if it is the wrong code he can get the right one.

If he calls me tomorrow and tells me to send it back, I will Express mail it to him with an express mail return label inside ;) I really want to see this sucker work ;)

like i said before, there is no way i'm getting a refund. i will send it back and troubleshoot as much as it takes to get it right.

Me too. So alphabets... what have you done thusfar? I think on my setup its pretty clear that either the SP is disabled or my ECU has been reflashed, although there are stickers all over it saying CDE2... ;)
I hope brian gets back to me in the AM so I can run to the post office and next day it ;)

i have tested it like 5 times. i cleaned it using rubbing alcohol and the copper is perfect with no silver whatsoever. the sp looks in perfect condition and my code, FAB2, like yours is on a few places. i will test it 1 more time tommorow and that will be the final test before i contact brian.

I would just up and contact him! It's not gonna work. I can switch my switch to 'off' and it will work... but any on program = no workie!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just got a single program, no stock chip. so i have to take it out when it doesn't work. i can't just flip a switch :(

Back