quick ball joint question(yes i searched) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

quick ball joint question(yes i searched)

vrytired

Reaction score
City, State
billerica,massachussets
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
anyone know what size 12 pt. socket i need to remove the pinch bolt on the upper balljoint? its looks to be around 13mm(assuming its metric, most everything else is) but i want to make sure before i go and buy one tomorrow. is a deep socket necessary?

new question: anyone ever round off the head on the pinch bolt? i used plenty of PB blaster, a propane torch on the 'clampy' looking part and the correct size socket, it didn't help. i'm planning to pick up one of those bolt extractor kits tomorrow and seeing what i can do with one of those. anyone have a better idea that doesn't require a welder?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have the original pinch bolts anymore... The moog ball joints came with new Hex bolts to replace the 12pt OEM ones... Anyway you shouldn't need a deep socket for this... Are you replacing both upper and lower ball joints and have you read the threads on this job?

It's about a 14mm or 15mm, I'd bet 15mm. Any strong 6 or 12 point socket will work.

Spray penetrant on the joint first thing, and use anti-seize when assembling. Good luck,

I don't have the original pinch bolts anymore... The moog ball joints came with new Hex bolts to replace the 12pt OEM ones... Anyway you shouldn't need a deep socket for this... Are you replacing both upper and lower ball joints and have you read the threads on this job?

yip read the threads and have the knuckle stripped. I'm replacing the drivers side upper and lower balljoint, both outer tie rod ends, drivers side axleshaft u-joint, and some other things if i'm in the mood.

bump with new question

bump with new question

You should post new question at the bottom.. when you edit an earlier post it doesn't trigger anything for me to look at..

anyone know what size 12 pt. socket i need to remove the pinch bolt on the upper balljoint? its looks to be around 13mm(assuming its metric, most everything else is) but i want to make sure before i go and buy one tomorrow. is a deep socket necessary?

new question: anyone ever round off the head on the pinch bolt? i used plenty of PB blaster, a propane torch on the 'clampy' looking part and the correct size socket, it didn't help. i'm planning to pick up one of those bolt extractor kits tomorrow and seeing what i can do with one of those. anyone have a better idea that doesn't require a welder?

IMO it would be very hard to round off a 12pt bolt unless you used the wrong size socket (std for metric)... the socket should fit tightly with NO slop.. Anyway you should heat the pinch bolt directly which will cause it to expand and burn off any loctite that may have been used. I would then use a wire wheel to remove any rust/scale to cause interference. It would be much better to use specialized vice grips like the one below. They allow you to grip a fastener with lots of pressure . Just slip a length of pipe over the end and your good to go.

18205Vice_grip_too_.jpg

You should post new question at the bottom.. when you edit an earlier post it doesn't trigger anything for me to look at..

IMO it would be very hard to round off a 12pt bolt unless you used the wrong size socket (std for metric)... the socket should fit tightly with NO slop.. Anyway you should heat the pinch bolt directly which will cause it to expand and burn off any loctite that may have been used. I would then use a wire wheel to remove any rust/scale to cause interference. It would be much better to use specialized vice grips like the one below. They allow you to grip a fastener with lots of pressure . Just slip a length of pipe over the end and your good to go.

18205Vice_grip_too_.jpg

the head didn't so much round off as the outside edges disintegrated. my pinch bolt must not have been the factory one if i'm suppose to be able to use vice grips on it. on mine there is no head sticking out from the adjustor, its completly recessed into it.

untouched pinchbolt to show what they looked like before i started. note completly disintigrated brake dust shield, most of spindle seat is gone, and had to replace spindle studs.

stripped spindle. i had to use an angle grinder to get the axle/ujoint out, there was so much rust on the bearing caps they wouldn't fit thru the hole. this brake shield looks surprisingly good.

pic with to much flash of the pinch bolt thats giving me crap.

:confused:

I do recall my pinch bolt was not recessed that badly, and as you can see in the pic below the new pinch bolt head sticks way out... Can you use a pick or similar tool to dig around the bolt head to see if it is just packed with rust?

My brake dust shields were toast as well.. You can removed them as Ford doesn't make any replacements and they are listed as not required (they just keep the brake dust from accumulating on your rims).

Camber_bushing.jpg

thanks for the help, i got it out with a 12mm "bolt out" thingy. after that the knuckle came out pretty easily with a pickle fork and a BFH.

thanks for the help, i got it out with a 12mm "bolt out" thingy. after that the knuckle came out pretty easily with a pickle fork and a BFH.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Glad to hear you got it out...

Btw don't be shy and check out our New Englad Explorers sub forum for local info..

Back