• Register Today It's free!

Quick Question for exhaust noise

deewan

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Rapids, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I have a quick question... I'm looking for a cheap or DIY solution for a problem related to the dual exhaust on my 2012 Ford Explorer Limited.

A few weeks ago I was involved in a low speed crash. A lady hit me from the rear. Very minor damage which was paid for by her insurance company. One result from the impact was the passenger side of my exhaust was slightly bent, maybe 1/4", outward towards the passenger side. The insurance company paid ~$800 to have the entire exhaust system replaced, but the auto body shop called and said the cause for the bend was the exhaust hanger was stuck and once they got under the car they didn't need to replace the exhaust. There were no cracks or bends requiring repair. End the end the body shop gave me $800 and I didn't replace the exhaust system.

Well there is one slight problem. While driving over a bumpy road the exhaust on the passenger side swings a bit (as it should) but now it's 1/4" to close to a subframe and it sometimes makes a metal on metal clicking noise when they hit, which drives me nuts.

Anyone have any idea if there is a rubber tip or something I could put on the structure the exhaust hangs from to deaden the sound? I've attached the pictures below showing where the metal is close and sometimes taps/bumps up against the frame.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

hCDzr3T.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Without looking at mine I would guess that the bolt that holds that rubber mount is bent moving the mount out just a little bit. If that is it a new rubber hanger may solve your problem.

I just looked at a diagram and it is the rear hanger.

The insurance company gave you $800 to have it fixed. You know what to do.

Without looking at mine I would guess that the bolt that holds that rubber mount is bent moving the mount out just a little bit. If that is it a new rubber hanger may solve your problem.

I just looked at a diagram and it is the rear hanger.

Thanks! I'll see what I can find for a replacement hanger. If all else fails I can take it to an exhaust place and pay to get something done. But I figured this wasn't a big enough issue to worry about taking it someplace and paying for a fix.

Take it to an exhaust shop and they can take a torch and heat the hanger etc.. and bend/adjust it.

Take it to an exhaust shop and they can take a torch and heat the hanger etc.. and bend/adjust it.

That was an option, but I thought I'd see if I could come up with a fix without making an appointment. I don't mind spending some money to get it fixed, I just hate scheduling appointments. This is likely what I will end up doing though now. THANKS!

Just bend the hanger a bit inward to change the angle of the hanger.

Back