Failed Inspection for Exhaust Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Failed Inspection for Exhaust Leak

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I have a problem. I took my 99 X to get it's yearly inspection and it got rejected for a number of things. The reverse light bulb is out (easy fix). The 4 offroad lights on the roof need to be covered or removed for inspection (another easy fix).....

The only other problem is the dreaded "Exhaust Leak". My mechanic (whom is a trustworthy mechanic and the same one I have gone to since I could drive) told me I have an exhaust leak. He could hear the leak (i never noticed); he could smell the carbon monoxide (i HAVE smelled it); and he could tell that the truck was not getting much back-pressure (the idle is rough sometimes). The problem is that he did not actually do a visual check to see where the leak is. Unfortunately this is where your help comes in.

I need to know where to start looking for the exhaust leak. (I have experience in leak detecting since I have been working as a commercial plumber for several years, however I have never worked on live pipes that get as hot as exhaust pipes). My first idea was to slop some leak detector on the joints, but with the pipes being so hot, the leak detector would just evaporate when it hit the pipe. Visual inspection would probably not be very effective. Nor would I be able to get my nose close enough to the pipes to sniff around for exhaust (that would be a funny sight to see nonetheless).

What are your recommendations for identifying where the exhaust is leaking from? At least, where and how do I start looking?

Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One way is to run some Seafoam thru your engine. If you are familiar with Seafoam, after you start the engine after feeding it into the engine, it will billow smoke, which you can use as a tool for finding exhaust leaks.

Just check all the connecting points while idling before it warms up you will be able to feel with your hand where exhaust gases are escaping.

If you look at all the joints the leak will have black soot on it!!

Redneck way, take a large rag or wear leather gloves, with the engine running, cover the exhaust pipe (if dual exhaust, this will not work to check for the leak) you will hear the leak better and see exhaust fumes come out of the leaking area. I have used this method to check for leaks on every vehicle I have purchased, it has never failed me.

Thanks guys, I will have to check it out tonight or tomorrow morning...whenever it gets cooler outside. If I find a leak, is there some sort of jb weld, or similar that I can fix the leak with? Or would i have to replace the pipe that is leaking? (if it is a leak at a joint, do i have to replace both pipes, or are there couplings that i can buy?) I know i can rig something up to make it safe and functional...but I am in need of a legal fix that will pass inspection. Virginia inspection to be exact. Thanks for your help so far, and any additional fixes or help would be great. Thanks thanks thanks.

I've used JB weld to repair leaking pipes before. It will work if you do the right prep, make sure to let it cure all the way, and use enough of it. It can't hurt to use the JB and then wrap it afterward with that exhaust wrap stuff that hardens with heat.

Side note: you can't smell carbon monoxide. ;)

Paraphoe, that was a good side note. I was doing some google research earlier about my exhaust problem and they said the same thing. I think I knew that fact once, but possibly the "exhaust leak" in my car killed the science brain cells......

on another note, i use the term "exhaust leak" loosely. I checked under my explorer tonight for any sign of corrosion or black sooty material (as janolsson described it), and found nothing notable. There was the normal wear and tear of being an 11 year old vehicle exhaust system, but it pipes and joints looked for their age (in my opinion). I did the visible inspection from the exhaust manifold to the cats to the muffler to the tail pipe. I noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Next i started the explorer and did another visual test, as well as felt around for leaks around the joints, and even sniffed around under there. Again, nothing out of the ordinary from the manifold all the way down to the tail pipe.

I then went a step further and followed unclemike's suggestion. I plugged the tailpipe with some rags and re-inspected the joints. I though the increased pressure would have given me some results. Indeed it did. On 3 of the joints, there were slight drips of water coming out of them at about the rate of 1 drop per 20 seconds. Now, these drips were not apparent when the car was running and the tailpipe was clear.

And again, I did not feel any air coming from the joints, or even smell carbon monoxide...i mean exhaust (thats for you Paraphoe, lol).

I cant find any exhaust leaking out exhaust system (other than the tailpipe, haha), and am gonna talk to the mechanic about it Monday. I am going to explain to him the tests/inspection of the exhaust system that I did. If i need to, i can take the car up there and let him do the tests again. If he can show me where there is an exhaust leak (under normal driving conditions without the rag stuffed in), then i will take it from there.

What do you guys think? Is it normal to drip a little water when the tailpipe is totally clogged? Any input or comments would be great. Thanks guys.

Edit: Also, was wondering if JB weld, and the exhaust wrap stuff will pass inspection??

And again, I did not feel any air coming from the joints, or even smell carbon monoxide...i mean exhaust (thats for you Paraphoe, lol).

:D :salute:

Edit: Also, was wondering if JB weld, and the exhaust wrap stuff will pass inspection??

It should. I can't speak for your inspection station, but as long as it's no longer leaking and the seal appears solid, I can't see it being an issue. Mine's gone through multiple inspections like that.

What do you guys think? Is it normal to drip a little water when the tailpipe is totally clogged?

No, that is a sign of steam in the exhaust gases leaking out of the pipe. The steam condenses into water droplets as it hits the colder outside air. Hence your leak.

Worth a shot considering that's a $20 attempt before spending $100's.

Tip: Don't get your inspections done at dealerships. If necessary go to a local muffler shop and have them bend some replacement pipes for you. They'll weld them up on the spot for cheap and it works.

Find a local exhaust shop....I have one near me that will weld up a leak for $10. Then you don't have to worry about the leak blowing JB Weld out.

So the water droplets coming out of the joints are a legitimate exhaust leak then? I want to make sure that before I talk to the mechanic I have a reasonable argument, or if what I saw is reason enough to fail inspection. I will plug it with jb and see how that works. Do you guys think that the mechanic would be able to hear these exhaust leaks? Thanks again guys.

Glad we dont have to deal with that type or garbage in this state, as long as the CEL is off here you pass. And only obd-2 cars are tested and only in a small populated section of the state.

So the water droplets coming out of the joints are a legitimate exhaust leak then?

that is a sign of steam in the exhaust gases leaking out of the pipe.

Yes, unless you are somehow mistaking water from the AC evaporator as it drips down to be coming from the exhaust.

If you use JB Weld make sure the surface is completely clean and dry. You might need to sand away any rust and then use acetone to clean off any oils. Then apply it while wearing nitrile gloves. You can hold it in place with some tape while it dries if it starts dripping out.

Redneck way, take a large rag or wear leather gloves, with the engine running, cover the exhaust pipe (if dual exhaust, this will not work to check for the leak) you will hear the leak better and see exhaust fumes come out of the leaking area. I have used this method to check for leaks on every vehicle I have purchased, it has never failed me.

FYI, I had never heard of this method before, despite locating and patching many an exhaust leak. I just used this method 5 minutes ago to help in locating a pesky exhaust leak on my Civic. Good lookin out man. Time for the JB fix.

FYI, I had never heard of this method before, despite locating and patching many an exhaust leak. I just used this method 5 minutes ago to help in locating a pesky exhaust leak on my Civic. Good lookin out man. Time for the JB fix.

Glad it worked out. I was shown this way as an young army private back in the 70's on the M151 "jeeps" (actually made by Ford) It works great on small motors such as cars, if there is a leak, the gases are going excape thru the exhaust piping, if not, it is just going to blow the rag out of the pipe.

Thanks again guys. I will pick up some jb tomorrow and prep the pipe and hopefully get it all straight for the inspection. I will let you guys know how it works out. On another note, I am gonna try to make some light covers out of marine vinyl. That was something else I need to address. Thanks for you guys help and wish me luck.

Bad news and good news guys. I went to fix up the couple of small leaks I had, and I found a surprise. I checked the leaks one more time by plugging the tailpipe, and I discovered the two large leaks that were coming from behind my muffler. Last year I replaced my muffler with an aftermarket one, and apparently the original pipes did not seal very well with the muffler. I dunno if this had been a problem since last year or if it just started recently. Nonetheless, I JB welded the living crap out of all the joints. I slopped so much of that junk into and onto 5 or 6 joints, and onto a small pinhole that was in my resonator. I will check it out tomorrow and hope that the JB takes to the exhaust pipe. Hopefully it will and I can get it inspected and pass. I still have to do something about the lights, but that should be easy compared to this. I just dont want to crawl back under the truck this week...it is supposed to rain. Perhaps it will all work out and I will get it inspected. Anyway, I will let you guys know and thanks a lot for all your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, I hear ya on the rain. It's been wet all day here and won't dry out till Thursday, so I won't be able to patch my Civic exhaust either. I hope you prepped the pipes as best as you could. It should hold.

Back