Failed Inspection for Exhaust Leak | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Failed Inspection for Exhaust Leak

I knocked off so much rust from the pipes. It was a mess. I started off brushing it off from the passenger side, but ended up with so much crap on me that I actually crawled totally under the car to get on the other side of the exhaust pipes. I prepped it as best as I could, and globbed JB all over the seams. Hopefully the humidity won't affect the JB drying. I want to check out the exhaust tomorrow after work, hopefully it won't be raining. I am looking forward to checking out the truck's performance. I have a feeling the truck will respond better since the exhaust is sealed properly. Something about the backpressure and whatnot. I just hope the JB holds and doesn't fly off the second I start the truck up. I am worried about doing the old "plug up the tailpipe" trick though. Correct me if I am wrong, but if the JB doesn't fly off under normal revving of the engine, then it should be good enough to plug the tailpipe? I know it will put more pressure on the seams and the JB if I plug the tailpipe, but the JB should be dry enough to hold? I hope so anyway. That should be one problem solved...

Now I have to make some fog light covers. I bought a yellow pvc rain-suit and plan to cut it up to make the covers. I like the yellow, plus it is water proof. Not to mention, I was at Home Depot anyway. I just have to get some elastic to sew onto the covers to attach them to the lights. Anyway, I will definitely post some pictures when I finish them.

The Inspection Saga continues....thanks again guys.

(P.S. - On a lighter note, my team finally won a game today. Go Vikings. Unfortunately, my fantasy football team is still winless. Oh well, I will take what I can get.)

How did this turn out, Rob? Get her through inspection? Plug holding? I patched my Civic exhaust over the weekend the same way and all is well.

Back