Quick Transmission Removal Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick Transmission Removal Question

Lefy

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
I've got a 98 sport I'm removing my transmission and have almost everything out
Exhaust drive shafts, and the Tcase is about to be dropped out

I was wondering since I've got my truck supported on the front control arms on jack stands.
Is it safe to remove the transmission cross member with the truck supported on the control arms since the torsion bars are still loaded??
I don't want to tweak anything and more importantly don't want to drop the truck on myself.

Thanks for the help
I would have read my haynes manual but have lost it somewhere thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try to support the vehicle by the front cross member by the front diff.

Ok that what I was going to do but I need some more Blocks dam short jackstands

Really? Cauz the cross member shouldn't be too much higher than the A-arms.

alirght one more question.
I moved the jackstands to the front crossmemeber
and have the tcase out and the transmission is un bolted and on my transjack adaptor.

Are there any help full tips for pulling it off the engine?
it is completely unbolted the cross member is out but it won't slide off.

Only thing I haven't tried to undo is the starter. that looks like it's bolted to the engine in front of the transmission.

I may have just answered my own question
but any tips for removing it would be helpful
also should I mark the position of the torque convertor when un bolting it??

Thanks again

Hmm sounds like you havent removed the torque converter bolts yet -- which does require you to remove the starter and crank the engine manually (via front pulley with a socket and breaker bar) to get to the torque converter bolts on the front of the flywheel. But that shouldnt stop you from pulling the transmission back. And no you dont need to mark the torque converter's position.

EDIT -- in addition, dont forget the bolts at the top of the transmission - which are difficult to get to w/o a body lift.

wait I'm a little confused I got all the bolts off as far as I know there are 8.
the top one was done with like 2.5feet of extensions from about where my tcase was.

also i thought the trans would slide off the torque convertor because the convertor was attached to the engine flywheel??
Maybe I'm not thinking straight cause I'm exhausted I'll think deal/think about it tomorrow.
thanks again Izwack.
btw hows your d60 swap coming?

Yeah you're right, the transmission should slide right out of the torque converter so maybe there's something else hanging up. But when I swapped my transmission, the torque converter came out with the transmission, and I think the Repair manuals I have say to remove the torque converter with the transmission.

And yeah it sounds like you got all of the bell housing bolts.

As for the D60 swap, I pretty much have everything ordered but I think I'm going to take it a bit further and chop the frame for better clearance (so the axle can stuff in front of the engine) -- lower CG and less chance of rolling over.

you were right I needed to unbolt the torque convertor and she came right out easy easy.. thanks for the help

Thanks for the update -- thats interesting though that the transmission wouldnt slide back w/o the torque converter. My only though is that there was still some weight on the torque converter, or it was being pushed up too high. Cauz basically the torque converter has to be somewhat perfectly inline in order to slide off -- this is (I guess) why you kind of have to support the weight of the torque converter as you slide it into the bellhousing in order to seat it all the way in.

Hello People....im Asking how many bolts hold the trans...im replacing ah slave cylinder..

Back