Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Callsign
N0FJC
My explorer has the new R134-a refridgerant. I need to recherge it. I went to good year for a quote. $65 for labor, $30 per pounf of freon at 2-3 pounds. The mechanic told me that the new freon tends to break down and must be evacuated and a whole new charge added. I felt he was trying to rake me over the coals so I left.

I found a freon recharge kit at walmart for about $20 and it seems pretty straight foreward. Couple of questions though -

1. How do I tell when its full? Do I just add one can of R134-a and leave it at that? or is there a way to tell when to stop?

2. Do I really need to evacuate the whole system?

Thanks

Steven

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.users.uswest.net/~ntrpriz/main.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Explorer Specs Located Here!</A>
Stock 94 XLT
PIAA Superwhites.
Vampire Alarm.
Jensen Head w stock Premium sound.
Radio Schack CB with magnetic mount antenna.
Uniden Scanner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cost seems very high.

If your system has pressure, it shouldn't need evacuation.

R-143a pressures run higher than R-12. It will tend to leak more quickly than R-12. Mine is R-134-a retrofit on a '91. It has been two years without a loss of cooling.

Does the Wally world recharge kit have a set of gauges? Is it for R-134a? If the answer is yes, then fill the system with R-134a until the low pressure (with the engine running and the temperature on max cool) is about 35 to 40 degrees F.

If the kit does not have gauges or if it is for R-12:
Get a set of R-134a gauges, or take the unit to someone who is more reasonable. Check the newspaper for ad specials.

Get the leak fixed. Check the hose fittings, the schroeder valves, the pressure sensor, the pump seal and both coils.

Good luck

------------------
Barnstormer
'91 stock 4X4

Unless the system has been open there is no need to evac. it. I would take it to someone who knows what they are dooing before trying to fill it. It is stright foward if you have the tools and the knoledge, but why attempt something that could back fire and cost you a lot of money later on.

Ntprize, I just bought the "Kit" from Wal-mart. I would put only 1 can maybe 2 at the most in the system. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine. No further risk if yoiu follow the directions. If it leaks out again, go to the pro's, get a loan and fix the A/C system.

Good Luck

------------------
Rob Robertson
94 XLT 4X4 4 door
5.5" Superlift,RS9000s,Warn manual hubs,33 X 12.5's ProComp MTs
"What's Potato Salad Hill?"

Thanks for all the replies. I did have it sniffed, and no leaks were found. I did have a problem last year after some real intense 4 wheeling when the preassure release valve devided to vent. I had that checked under warrentee and they could not determine why it popped. So Im thinking its just the valve and there are no leaks. Since it did decide to vent, I have to replace what was lost. It is still cooling decently, its just not as good as it can be.

Thanks

Steven

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.users.uswest.net/~ntrpriz/main.htm" TARGET=_blank>
Explorer Specs Located Here!</A>
Stock 94 XLT
PIAA Superwhites.
Vampire Alarm.
Jensen Head w stock Premium sound.
Radio Schack CB with magnetic mount antenna.
Uniden Scanner.

Those retro kits may work fine, but i you have a problem after you retro an r-12 to a r-134. No one will hook it up to there equipment do to cross contamination.

------------------

91 Sport
"Drive it like ya stold it"

I just filled mine with one can of freon but it seems that it takes a while for cold air to start flowing. I might consider putting another can in. It was sugested that you don't put more then two cans of freon in. Just a thought.

Dead Link Removed
Later,

------------------
Andre Hryn
94 Limited
Andre's "baby"

Yeah, Same here i just bought a Retro-Kit at Wallmart....because my 93' X isn't blowing out cold air....well im taking it to a garage so they can evac my system so then i can go ahead and convert it to a r-134a ......Do i have to take it to a garage or can i evac it mayself?

Get the good kit from an autoparts store. The one that I used had a brass pressure guage. After four years of owning the truck my AC finally went. I have the 134a stock so I got two of the big cans of the 134a + oil. Make sure that the AC is on and check the pressure to start. Mine didn't have any. I put in one big can (it sucked it in real quick and you could tell when it went it, the compressor stopped going on and off and just stayed on). After the first can check the pressure again. Mine was still low so I added another can. Checked the pressure again and it was perfect.

It cools wonderfully now. Very easy to do, follow the instructions. Make sure you don't get the high pressure and low pressure sides mixed up. For me the low pressure was where I had to put the freon in. It was on the passenger side near the fire wall, by the accumulator. ( I think that is what it is called)

Good luck.

Dave

Back