R&R 1995+ Ford Explorer A/C Receiver/Drier 4.0L SOHC AC Airconditioning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

R&R 1995+ Ford Explorer A/C Receiver/Drier 4.0L SOHC AC Airconditioning

ncc

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Replacing A/C Receiver/Drier 4.0L SOHC *Fixed Pics*

Here's the procedure for replacing the receiver/drier and orifice tube in a '97 4.0L SOHC:

enginewithtext2.jpg

1. Have the system professionally drained. It is actually a federal crime to allow refrigerant to escape into the atmosphere. Plus it's just a lot safer when you know you can crack open your system and nothing's gonna' come blowing out at you.

2. You WILL need this tool (I paid $7.98 at Advance Auto for this one):

ACfittingtool.jpg

3. Disconnect the receiver drier at three points as shown:

receiverdrierwithtext.jpg

4. This is the fitting that requires the special tool:

upperfittingwithtext.jpg

If you've never dealt with this type of fitting before, here's how it works: The line end is shaped like a doughnut. Inside this doughnut is a circular spring. The receiver tube is flanged at the end and snaps inside this doughnut so that the spring ends up contracting around the tube and holding it snugly in place. The special tool has four different sizes and is designed to be clamped around the receiver end of the fitting and pressed into the opening of the fitting so that the spring is expanded and pushed out of the way. This allows the flanged end of the receiver tube to slip out of the doughnut. I hope that all makes sense; you'll just have to see it when you're doing it.

5. Pull the receiver/drier from it's mount. It simply slips out of the bracket - no bolts or screws.

6. Remove retainer clip and separate the evaporator tube from the lower A/C line as shown here (again, use the special tool):

Lowerhoseandfittingwithtext.jpg

7. Remove the accumulator valve/orifice tube from this line with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

Installation:

1. Install new orifice tube into lower line:

OrificeTube.jpg

2. Reconnect fitting and install retaining clip.

3. Fill new receiver/drier with about 3-4 ounces of PAG 100 oil.

4. Install new receiver/drier into mounting bracket and reconnect at the three points (quick-connect, nut and switch).

5. Double check your work. If satisfied, close the hood; you're done.

6. Bring vehicle to a professional A/C service facility and inform them of the work you've done. Also let them know that you have pre-charged both the compressor and the receiver/drier with 3-4ozs of PAG 100 oil. Ask them to evacuate, leak-test and recharge the system. They will do the rest.

Good luck to you!

Jeremy
'97 Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Nominate this for...............Sticky time and move to AC Section.

Aloha, Mark

4 for 4 :D That will get you a full year of Elite Explorer membership.

Thanks for your contributions:chug:

Thanks again, Rick. :D

thanks everybody.
i guess i will have to remove the whole control arm it doesnt look like such a bad job for a DIY.
on my 98 the one side control arm looks like it has some threaded screws any one know what these are? and how to work them with out throwing the alignment off?
Also the one ac service will help , mine has a bad reciever drier- the cover trapped water thats eatn right thru into the reciever drier- new reciever drier @ autozone 45$ i will also replace the orfice tube and fill rec/drier with oil and compressor with oil and new o rings then have the system recharged

Thanks once again everybody

Hey, y'all. I have not visited this site in many years but I received an email recently that Photobucket has changed their policies and no longer allows "hotlinking" of photos with a free account. Since I'm not paying for their crappy site, my photos are currently unavailable for y'all to view. It will take me a couple of days, but I am going to migrate all the original photos from this and my other write-ups to my personal server so that they become available, again. Happy wrenching, y'all!

Back