RA Washer - JonZ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RA Washer - JonZ

KTMpat

Reaction score
Hi Jon, sorry I didnt get back to you earlier... this private message thing doesnt stand out enough.

I had the shake. I replaced the RAs bushings and it went away for the most part.... for about 2 months. Then it crept back. I too was questioning what else could it be, when I decided to add the washers because it was cheap and easy. IT WORKED. I actually bought four washers in case I wanted to double up and make it really tight, but one extra for now is plenty tight. If I sense looseness later, I can always put in the second one. But in my opinion, as someone posted awhile back, this may be a design flaw - allowing too much gap/play for the bushings.

Functionally, the washer doesnt have to go on the inside bushing. The RA shaft gets pulled through the frame hole just the same using washer(s) on the outside bushing. And pressure is equal on both bushings because you're just squeezing them together tighter against each other, not against the frame.

I have not replace ball joints, maybe someone else here has... comments anyone?

Also, one more comment. There is an adjusting nut for the steering box. I remember tightening up play on my old Mustang and Falcons, if you sense loose steering or wheel shake due to excessive play there. Might be an item to check, or maybe the oard here can comment on that too.

Good luck, Patrick.

Originally sent by JonZ:
Pat,

I've been putting off this vibration thing for almost two years and now I see it's a factory thing. At any rate, I had some question about placement of these washers. I've installed new poly bushings on the RAs and the shake deminished and it sure tightened up the front end feel, but the shake still remains at 65. Now, it appears my ball joints are shot(lovely wear pattern on the inside tread)and I'm getting ready to replace those..figure while i'm in there, I might as well try out this washer thing. If I understand correctly, the new setup would be RA thru mount, inside washer, poly bushing, new washer, old washer, and nut? Btw, ever replaced the ball joints? I'm trying to get a feel for how much of a pain that's going to be. Thanks greatly!

Jon

Back