radiator from an auto on a manual truck? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radiator from an auto on a manual truck?

goliath

Reaction score
City, State
martinez, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4x4 sport
hey guys, this single row radiator for a manual trans is killing me (literrally, i cracked the head)!

Can the 3 core supercooling radiator from an automatic work on the manual trans vehicle? Are there any fitment problems, or issues with leaving the tranny cooler lines disconnected?

thanks
-joshua

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a rad for my 93 manual.

There was aparently two options for me, a basic radiator, or a supercooling one.
The regular is about an inch thick, the super is about double that.

I can only put in what came with it, because there are two posts sticking down out the bottom of the rad, the regular rad is the only one that will fit the holes that are in my rad support.

This might be a problem for you.

I'd put in the auto rad if it fits. You should be fine with the tranny cooling lines capped.

the tranny lines really don't even need to be capped.
Nothing is going to come out of them.

Well, no nothing is going to come out of them. Though I've always found it good to cap unused lines. Just keeps crap from finding it's way where it shouldn't be.

Thanks guys. ill try the super cooling one for the auto and fab up a support if needed.

now to take care of the dead miss in cylinder 4, thats gonna hurt the wallet...

can i run the engine with a dead cylinder, or is it gonna fry on me suddently?

the only symptom i have is a little coolant on plug 4 and a constant miss at idle (can feel engine shake a little and feel extra pulse from exhaust), no smoke or milkshake oil. will do a compression test in the am, but i suspect that cylinder isnt making good compression due to a crack in the head.

thanks a million.
-joshua

Would I drive a truck with a dead cylinder? No.

My old man has a 74 chevy truck with a 360 (357?) v8 in it. It uses so much oil he puts in the old oil he takes out of his other vehicles when he changes the oil in them. No kidding, every time we fill up the tank, we put in 3-4 quarts of oil, its that bad.

Anyway, number 8 cylinder hasnt worked in 13k miles, and its not a big deal. As long as the cylinder is getting oiled (and it does because its mechanical), it wont hurt anything except economy.
To be honest, you cant tell its not firing. Its our car trailer tow vehicle and towed my x about 300 miles a couple weeks ago on a car trailer. Barely even knew the x was there.

Back