radiator recommendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

radiator recommendations

Amopower

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
Is there a certain aftermarket radiator better than the others? I see a Proliance radiator (432217) for $159, and a Modine radiator (2217) for $115 on amazon.com. Wouldnt these be identical? Is there one that fits better than the other? I'd rather pay more for one that fits perfect. (yeah i know, buy motorcraft if i want perfect, but is there an aftermarket jsut as good?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the differences you'll find MIGHT be how they're setup. Or how many layers of fins I guess you could say there are to cool. Single vs. Dual, that sort of thing. But idk the ones you're looking at *hint hint link us to them*

I recently bought one from RockAuto.com for $116 including the shipping. My opinion is buy the cheapest one you can find. These radiators with plastic tanks are prone to leak at some point in their existence. This was my third radiatior at 235,000 miles. The original was leaking transmission fluid under the top female port. The second had the seal begin leaking above the petcock where the radiatior meets the tank. To fix a radiator just doesn't make sense when you can buy new for around a $100. Since I have searched already, I just haven't seen an aftermarket radiator company putting out an all aluminum or something similiar. And even the Motorcraft replacement is not made here in the states. They are all made in China. They just make disposible parts for our Exploders. Just my two cents.

Later, Matt

I agree I would rather just get a new one than risk a repair not working.
Side question - if you are slowly leaking antifreeze from the transmission cooler inlet fitting, you pretty much can't fix that leak, right? Cheap people are telling me to get stop leak for radiators, I'm just going to get a new one.

I bought an aluminium plastic radiator for around 100$. It fit perfect the clearances were tight, but it fit well. I would buy the cheapest one as well. Fixing a radiator is a thing of the past. Stop leak can work, it can also take your thermo and heating core out. Really depends how much money you want to put in. My exploder is on life support so it is not getting any legitimate repairs.

I got a problem, my radiator started to leak on me, so I figured no big deal I would just replace it. I got a new one(smaller, and not as thick) as my old one. and it bolts up fine. Only problem is my fan shroud won't fit the bottle tabs on the radiator itself because the bottom tabs on the radiator are closer together then the bottom tabs on the fan shroud. Also my fan shroud seems bigger then the new radiator I purchased. I can line up the top tabs, but then I will have a inch and a half gap between the radiator and the fan shroud.

Quick question on this note, when buying a new radiator you just have to take into account whether you have an auto trans or manual right? Does whether or not you have a/c matter?

I bought the 115 dollar one from Carquest... It worked just fine

Before I got rid of my 88 B-II I replaced the radiator in it with a metal one. I got it from radiators.com You might check there for on that isn't plastic.

Back