Radio Display Not Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display Not Working

Googling 'mach radio repair' brought up an ebay vendor that will fix these units for $111.30 He has over a 99% feedback rating.

I know that keeping the factory look is sometimes pretty nice. I'd like to keep my factory look also. Although, my display is starting to flicker, so I might be faced with a decision. I think it will be an excuse to get a nice nav unit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Googling 'mach radio repair' brought up an ebay vendor that will fix these units for $111.30 He has over a 99% feedback rating.

I know that keeping the factory look is sometimes pretty nice. I'd like to keep my factory look also. Although, my display is starting to flicker, so I might be faced with a decision. I think it will be an excuse to get a nice nav unit.

I can understand wanting to keep the stock look in place but sometimes its simply not workable any more. The Kenwood DPX500BT I installed doesn't look 'too unfactory' but anybody can tell it is an aftermarket unit. (See pic.) And one nice thing is that it has a huge color palate for the display so the green I chose fits with the stock instrumentation lights. The latest upgraded unit DPX501BT is available on Amazon for $121. Why repair a stock unit when you can get a new unit with USB, BT (voice and streaming), iHeart, Pandora, etc.. for $10 more? No nav tho.

Sorry for the huge pic.
Kenwood install.jpg

I can understand wanting to keep the stock look in place but sometimes its simply not workable any more. The Kenwood DPX500BT I installed doesn't look 'too unfactory' but anybody can tell it is an aftermarket unit. (See pic.) And one nice thing is that it has a huge color palate for the display so the green I chose fits with the stock instrumentation lights. The latest upgraded unit DPX501BT is available on Amazon for $121. Why repair a stock unit when you can get a new unit with USB, BT (voice and streaming), iHeart, Pandora, etc.. for $10 more? No nav tho.

Sorry for the huge pic.
View attachment 91313

I gotta agree Duane. Personally I prefer the OE look and interface with the steering wheel mounted controls and factory Amp/sub, but having a working display just isn't important enough to me to spend $100 or more trying to have the display repaired. As long as the radio, sub and CD changer work that's good enough for me. I've managed to locate the couple of radio stations I listen to, set the preset buttons and got the audio dialed in to where I like it. If I wanted the USB connector and display bad enough I'd buy an aftermarket stereo like you did.

The aftermarket is full of great stuff, and features. I've stuck with the Mach because it's very unlikely to attract a crook, plus it's a Pioneer with great reception. The RCA output I had added also let me bypass the internal amp(distortion), and get super clean loud music if I want it.

I just have to find the time to do the wiring and mount the amps and speakers. Where's the sad smilie face.:(

The irony is I'd use steering wheel controls more with a fancy touch-screen unit but don't really need them with the design being so ergonomic that I can change volume or station preset without fumbling around or even looking, including wearing nice warm gloves in winter.

Back