Radius arm axle bolts help!

Dre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 FPIU
Question to all that removed these bolts...

can I just cut them with my angle grinder? Is the nut permanent or removable? (axle - radius arm bolt - upper and lower). I'm getting furious trying to get these out... no budging at all.... I tried everything... even pipe wrench and 6' cheater pipe...... I'm removing radius arms for Skyjacker 6" lift install.... this is the first obstacle I can't get over...
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I understand you right, you are talking about the Bolts that are holding the Radius Arm to the TTB. If I am right in assuming this, NO I would not cut the bolt. :eek: You will have a harder time getting the Bolt Shaft out. It's hard due (if it is like mine was) to the threads. I HAD to use a 1 1/8 wrench that we cut the open end off of and a 2 1/2 ton jack Handle (which was about 5 ft) and fought the bolt ALL THE WAY OUT, even once the "load" of the Radius Arm was released. They use some SERIOUS thread lock on these bolts! I still have my custom wrench for tightening them :)

If I assumed the wrong bolts, ignore me all together ;)

Ah, Dre. I just did the same thing. Get a propane torch and heat the bolt, I was told to 500 degrees. I basically heatred the bolts for a bout 2-3 minutes then they came right off. They were still tough to get out. Make sure you turn them the correct way. I lost several hours because I was trying to turn the bottom one the wrong way.

Also we had trouble lining up the new extd radius arms and the axle bolt holes. What may work better for you is to put the radius arms on the axle and the drop bracket and then bolt that up to the frame.

pm me if you need help

man... I'm gonna try it again today. Glad I didn't cut them off.... I thought that these have removable nuts on the other end like most of the bolts in the suspension.... no thread in the axle housing... my bad. I'll try heating them again... did that last night... no help. This truck has some major rust on all the parts of suspension - surface rust you know but still.... maor PITA getting stuff off. I should off taken this truck to local Merlin shop... guys that own it are big time off-roaders and offered their help.... and I thought I can do it on my own...

I can do it, I can do it, I can do it, I can do it, I can do it, I can do it...........:fire:

Well I ended up heating the bolts several times and then I found a spot in the I-beam where I could also heat the nut so maybe that was what did the most help cause it came off right after I heated that end.

A propane torch doesn't produce a lot of heat and it apparently takes time to heat the bolt up.

We actually used two box/open ends wremches to break the locktite on the bolt. I knw its scary but it just takes some torque to break the locktite even after it is heated.

I hope MAPP gas will do it..... going after those bolts today even though temp's scorching 100 degrees out there.....

I used a torch on mine to get them off.

On a 2wd you could cut them off but not on a 4x4.

I hear ya Dre its hot outside here also!!!! I've been out working on my radius arm replacement and I'm showing some sweat> it's 61 here!!!!

Good luck with them I wouldn't torch em off, finding new ones could be a *****.

hurray! got the axles off... walk in the park, really. I got my torch out, heated bolts for about 3-4 minutes each and didn't even have to put too much pressure on them... turned without much force. ABS sensors gave me a little bit of trouble... same on spindles... chisel had to be used... and a hammer. Now I got the whole thing apart... completely... will start installing brackets tomorrow. Some parts are on the a back order though... thanks all.

Hey that's what we are here for to help one another out!!!

Did you have to chisel rivets off? Those can be a bear.

Congrats on the successful removal. I am glad you didn't cut the bolts as well ;)
Next hump is probably going to be the rivets (if you are using extended radius arms) :eek: You can sut the heads off these if ya want ;) :D

I did cut the rivets already... I took all the old brackets off... my new radius arm brackets are still in the mail... as well as the crossmember. I think that now I'll take the third member apart and change gears. I need to match the rear 4.10 setup... why do it later when axle is out already?? right? I'll just have to charge my wife's visa a bit untill next payday...
:D

thanks guys once again...

how much you get done today Dre?

I got all of the radius arm rivets done, dropped everything down, and started working on the passenger axle pivot bracket rivets when it started raining, which made a good excuse to quit for the day. At least they used bolts on the other axle drop bracket, getting really sick of 4" (well 3" now) grinder.

Heck...all the brackets have been removed... both pieces of axle removed... and out of the way.... frame had been wire brushed and painted.... the big axle drop down bracket is in... I started drilling the extra holes for the bracket's bolts... Today I'm resting. Starting tomorrow I'll take the pig apart and await the arrival of all the missing parts.

I just go at it full swing every day and try to do as much as possible... it's not easy... going at it alone. By the end of next week truck should be out of my garage... unless parts are on the back order
;)

Yep, same here, just work as hard as possible and get it knocked out bit at a time. I've had an extra pair of hands a couple of times, but this is definitely a solo project for me as well. Pretty cool that we are both doing this at the same time. Well, keep us updated!

it's a race now.... who will be done first?
:hammer:

You've got a good lead on me if you have all the rivets off, I still have to get those 4 on the axle pivot drop, and those don't look easy to get to :(

And I'm laying cement stairs at my house this week, which will reduce time/energy for the X, but who knows. It will probably end up being who gets their postal shipments first :p

I also have to take care of a few "honey do's" as well... shipments? should have everything here by the end of the week. I just order neaw gears and lock-rite for the front end...... ...... ...... will see.

Back