Radius Arm question

cmhaah06

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CLOVIS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I have the James Duff extended radius arms in my garage waiting to be put on, still pieceing everything together. Will these radius arms work on beams that have been cut n turned at the ball joint (relocation style)? Found a guy who is going to do a cut n turn set up for me but want to make sure my arms can still be used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't see why not, as they only relocate the lower ball joint....the mounting location for the arms is unchanged...

l8r, John

The cut/turn just makes it so you don't need Axle beam drop brackets. It won't affect the mounting of the Radius Arms.

Sounds like your getting the cut/turn done by moving the lower balljoint. That won't be in the way of the RA mount so you should be fine.

~Mark

But the cut and turn will change the angle that the beam is at, and will cause the beam to reach a steeper angle at full droop then it would with drop brackets, or with the cut and turn further in. That wouldn't have any effect on RA's with rubber bushings, but the Duff arms have heims, which only allow so much twisting. I don't have Duff arms, so I can't tell you how much they can twist, but I think that is what the OP is worried about.

I see what your asking. I don't know how much mis-alighment you can get on the duff arms.. I can't see you getting so much angle on the beams that you would run out of misalignment on the heims.

~Mark

But the cut and turn will change the angle that the beam is at, and will cause the beam to reach a steeper angle at full droop then it would with drop brackets, or with the cut and turn further in. That wouldn't have any effect on RA's with rubber bushings, but the Duff arms have heims, which only allow so much twisting. I don't have Duff arms, so I can't tell you how much they can twist, but I think that is what the OP is worried about.

Does this "cut and turn" also help with the angle of the front drive shaft going into the pumpkin, therefore improving the U-joint stability etc....for a lifted rig? Or are you guys talking about something completely different?

Bump....I am curious about this "cut and turn".....I've been searching the forum for any how to's, but no luck, any education for my un-educated butt?

The cut and turn can change the angle of the axle shaft (not drive shaft). It depends on how it is done. Basically, it is used to change the camber of the front tires so you don't need or can run a smaller drop bracket on the axle pivots.

You can cut/turn it near the mounts (small end of the axle beams)

Can cut it just inside of the knuckle

Can also cut/turn it by moving the lower balljoint out.

There are a few good thread here, some with some lively debates as to which method is better.

Personally, I'll be moving (have moved) the lower balljoint.

~Mark

Back