• Register Today It's free!

Radius arm bushings.

Vanquish502

Reaction score
City, State
Kitchener, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
91EB, 91EB, 92XLT
I don't know how much crack some people seem to be smoking, but we changed both radius arm bushings today, and it only took a little less than 2 hours. Granted, the truck had bolts instead of rivets for some reason, but these were stock radius arm bushings. Even had the metal heatshield thing on both sides. That 2 hours also included welding the one bracket, since the hole wasnt round anymore(we drove for like 4 months with a bad bushing.) I've read people taking 4 hours, 5 hours and more. How? We started at 11AM and were done at 2:25PM, that included both bushings, the welding/grinding, 4 new shocks and an oil change.

Also, all we had was a floor jack, 2 jackstands and impact gun, sockets and wrenches. And a cutting torch for the shocks.

However, 3 of the 4 shocks were hooped, but theres no real shock absorbance difference. The truck still bounces for a while if you press on the hood up and down. Theres a huge difference in braking with the RAB's and much less body roll now, but bumps still feel the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, i read people taking loads of time to do them. I changed my first one on saturday and it took about an hour 15 minutes. The only problem we had was removing the old one, as you have fight the radius arm out of the hole, but its worth it. No more clunking :thumbsup:

Some people are faster than others. The rivet removal is the biggest part of the job the first time it is done. Someone did the heavy lifting for you.

Glacier991 said:
Some people are faster than others. The rivet removal is the biggest part of the job the first time it is done. Someone did the heavy lifting for you.

No rivet, just a simple nut to take off. Hardest part was removing the old bushing, since you have to get the radius arm threads out of the hole. That take a little bit of effort. Much better ride now though

It came with a rivet. Someone else did the hard job or removing the rivets and replaced em with bolts. 2nd time is a breeze then.

I agree Glacier. Wish mine were bolted on when I first replaced them.

I'm not the first owner of the truck so it may have had a rivet, but none when I redid them. It was so battered to, the bushing was so mangled. Luckily the right side was already replaced so I didnt have to touch it.

I know my issues was that the Fuel filter was in teh way and I had a hard time unclipping and moving. on the other side, the Cat. was right where I had to get to the Nut.
Cutting Shocks? what was the reason for even touching the shocks?

We changed them, 3/4 were screwed.

Vanquish502 said:
I don't know how much crack some people seem to be smoking, but we changed both radius arm bushings today, and it only took a little less than 2 hours. Granted, the truck had bolts instead of rivets for some reason, but these were stock radius arm bushings. Even had the metal heatshield thing on both sides. That 2 hours also included welding the one bracket, since the hole wasnt round anymore(we drove for like 4 months with a bad bushing.) I've read people taking 4 hours, 5 hours and more. How? We started at 11AM and were done at 2:25PM, that included both bushings, the welding/grinding, 4 new shocks and an oil change.

Also, all we had was a floor jack, 2 jackstands and impact gun, sockets and wrenches. And a cutting torch for the shocks.

See how fast you do them when the factory rivets are there :) I know because I did them like this on my first X, its just the positioning of them, hence trying to drill them and get a grinder up there. My current X has the bolts and man....I'd be surprised if it even took me 2 hours by myself.

First time I did them, with rivets, it took me and a friend about 4 hours total. I had never done anything this "major" before hahaha

Now I can do them (with rivets and the correct tools) in about 2 hours by myself.
Grind the heads off the rivets = easiest way I have found. An air chissel works good but can ***** up the frame rail. In order to get the disc grinder in there sometimes you have to tie the inner fender liner up out of the way. With the load off the front suspension the rivets will pop out really easy, so jack stands under the frame is the best idea.
I like to drill the holes out a bit to accept 1/2" hardware, grad 5 or grade 8 only. I also paint the frame rail before putting the x member back into place.
The heat guard is only needed on the passenger side and typically they are rusted out and worthless anyways. With urethane bushings the heat guard is not really needed (never had any melting issues)
Be sure to replace the nylon donuts with new, also check the torque on the radius arm retainer nuts after 500 miles and BEFORE an alignment.

Also rubber bushings flex better then urethane :)

lbrowne said:
See how fast you do them when the factory rivets are there :) I know because I did them like this on my first X, its just the positioning of them, hence trying to drill them and get a grinder up there. My current X has the bolts and man....I'd be surprised if it even took me 2 hours by myself.

Where we did them we also had a plasma cutter. So add on maybe 15 minutes with the rivets ;)

Ahhh, nothing like good tools. :)

The right tools can literally cut install times by 50% or more in capable hands.

Back