• Register Today It's free!

Radius Arm removal help needed

emfjsullivan

Reaction score
City, State
herdnon, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
Navajo (Explorer Spt) '93
I have a 93 Navajo and after reading this site and www.glue.umd.edu website on explorer maintenance, I still am having a problem getting my radius arm out of the bracket. It's all apart and I'm looking for any tricks or tips that may help me finish. I've started on the passenger side first.

I'm doing the non-rivet removal method and have the spring off; the stabilization bar off; the pivot arm bolt out, etc - everything is free. I still can't get the arm forward enough. When those of you did it this way, how hard was it for you to move the axle forward to clear the RA bracket? I did get a come-along winch, but can't really find a good spot on the frame to anchor it w/o having the winch pull up the axle, and have the axle pivot arm hit the frame.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to remove the passenger side whub, spindle nuts, caliper, rotor, and then finally the spindle. Now pull the axle shaft out, seperate it at the slip yoke from the inner axle (pass side only). Drivers side has a single axle shaft that pulls right out of the front diff (no c clip retainer)

Once the axle is free you can drop the passenger side I beam from the axle pivot point. PUll the arm out and replace you bushing.

It is easier to cut the rivets on the crossmember. 4" disc grinder takes 5 miunutes per rivet to grind the head off and punch it through.
This method also allows you to install a lift or extended radius arms in teh future.
Replace the rivets with 1/2 inch grade 8 (at least) bolts.

If you drop the beams you may need to re-packthe wheel bearings, front diff fluid, diff seals, you mine as well replace the brake pads, and get an alignment.......

Thew job can be done in 2-3 hours if you cut the rivets....

Ok, now I see why people do the rivets instead of this other method. None of the people that did this method mentioned removing all the parts that you said to get the job done. Even in the shop manual it sounds simple to do.

I may just try the split bushing method since I have most of it apart anyway, but don't want to go further in disassembling the hub.

Thanks for the quick reply.

i cannot seem to sperate the radius arm from the i beam it is rusted in any suggestions a 10 ton press couldn't push it out so we heated it with a torch still nothing any help would be great

i am talking a bout the bolt that goes threw the i beam that the radius arm pivets on thank you

Back