• Register Today It's free!

Rain sensing wipers are awful

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So this is only my second vehicle with rain sensing wipers but does anyone feel these wipers are just way too sensitive? Even in a light drizzle and they are going way to fast in my opinion. In addition, they take forever to respond. I will be coming off the highway and come to a stop yet the wipers are still going pretty close to full speed. And that is with it set to the lowest setting. My previous car not only had the sensitivity setting on the steering wheel stalk, but had additional sensitivity settings within the car settings. Doesn't seem like there are any other settings in the Explorer. Just on/off. We've had a week of rain here in Maryland so I've gotten plenty of experience with these wipers. Probably doesn't help that my wipers are skipping big time and making a lot of noise. Very ocd with wipers. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone felt this way and maybe if there was something I am missing to adjust this further.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turn the sensitivity down. I only keep mine at the 1st or 2nd line and work pretty well. Very rarely go full speed that way unless in a down pour.

Edit - just reread and saw you have yours at the lowest. Not sure why yours go full speed then. Never happens to me with that low of a setting.

Turn the sensitivity down. I only keep mine at the 1st or 2nd line and work pretty well. Very rarely go full speed that way unless in a down pour.

Edit - just reread and saw you have yours at the lowest. Not sure why yours go full speed then. Never happens to me with that low of a setting.

Yeah I don't get it. Maybe I just have to get use to the settings and sensitivity. Like I said at the end of my post, I think if I can get my wipers working without skipping and rubbing across the whole windshield, I could put up with the increased sensitivity.

Time for a dealer trip--mine work amazingly. It's a GREAT feature.

Only ever have it on intermittent (i.e., automatic) level 1-2. I never need to take it further.

Yeah I don't get it. Maybe I just have to get use to the settings and sensitivity. Like I said at the end of my post, I think if I can get my wipers working without skipping and rubbing across the whole windshield, I could put up with the increased sensitivity.

No, you're right, they suck. Tried all different settings and they're too inconsistent.

Time for a dealer trip--mine work amazingly. It's a GREAT feature.

Only ever have it on intermittent (i.e., automatic) level 1-2. I never need to take it further.

I mean the feature "works", just poorly.

No, you're right, they suck. Tried all different settings and they're too inconsistent.

Yeah it sucks because the feature can be very useful when it works right. Oh well.

I agree. they suck.. the "lowest" setting is way to sensitive/fast.. I've used it on my wife's Nissan for 4 years now and they have it nailed perfectly.

I just leave it off and do it manually. (or use the first auto setting as my always on slow)

I totally agree with thefranchise713. I've had them on my last 3 vehicles and I think they are a great feature to have. Also, remember they are programmed to react to the vehicle's speed.

Peter

I mean the feature "works", just poorly.

I just meant that there might be a re-calibration or something necessary on yours.

I just meant that there might be a re-calibration or something necessary on yours.

Or the module is faulty. I had my module replaced twice due to it activating on sunny days randomly.

Good point. I'll have to give the dealer a call and see if its something they can re-calibrate.

Or the module is faulty. I had my module replaced twice due to it activating on sunny days randomly.

I haven't had that issue but then again I feel like I may have it turn off more often than I think because of the sensitivity issue. Maybe I'll try leaving it on and see if this happens. Hopefully this isn't the issue.

I don't have these on my Explorer, but I've had them on other vehicles...is the sensor for it laminated/part of the windshield? If it is, look to see if there are bubbles between the sensor and the glass. I had to have my windshield replaced, and they had to go through half a dozen to find a good one, one once we figured ito there problem.

I don't have these on my Explorer, but I've had them on other vehicles...is the sensor for it laminated/part of the windshield? If it is, look to see if there are bubbles between the sensor and the glass. I had to have my windshield replaced, and they had to go through half a dozen to find a good one, one once we figured ito there problem.
The sensor is located in the large base of the rearview mirror that is attached to the windshield and uses infrared technology.

Peter

Back