Rancho 5000's or Pro Comp 3000's?

j602

resident ******
Reaction score
City, State
Dothan, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Well I'm about to put in my 2" suspension lift and am in desperate need of some new shocks (Still have the 12 year old stockers). Anyway, I was set on getting the Rancho RS5000's until I saw a deal on a set of Explorer Pro Comp ES3000's on 4WP. The Pro Comp package is $25.00 less and comes with a free steering stabalizer. So my question is, which shock should I go with? It will be mostly for street use, with occassional off roading. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd spring the extra bucks and get 9000s personally.

Alec said:
I'd spring the extra bucks and get 9000s personally.

I would, but belive me, I do NOT have the money for the 9000's. WAY outta my price range. I wish I could, I've heard nothing but great things about the 9000's, but I just don't have the dough for 'em. But between the Rancho's and Pro Comp's, which would you recommend?

Have you taken a look at the Rancho 7000's. I've got them on mine and I am very happy with their performance.

yohe said:
Have you taken a look at the Rancho 7000's. I've got them on mine and I am very happy with their performance.

Hmm.....7000's huh? Never heard of 'em. Tell me more.

Well, i have no experience with any of the 2 but if i were in your shoes i would probably go with the pro comps and pick up the free steering stabilizer. You said you did light off roading so they would probably be better than you think, especially if you don't have the cash now. You can always get the racho's later when you do, then you can see which suite you best, and see if you really like the stabilizer at the same time. Just my 2 cents.

Well I have the money for the Rancho's or the Pro Comp's. The 9000's are the ones that are really expensive. I'm trying to decide between the 5000's and the Pro Comp 3000's. But yeah I think I might go for the Pro Comps cause they're a little less and come with the steering stabalizer. I'm still not completely sure though.

Do not get rancho 5000s, mine were shot after less than 3 years and others here have had similar experiences. And this was with little to no offroading. Have you thought about monroe reflex's? can get them for 40 a piece.

I have heard about some complaints on the 5000's, me personally I had a set on a '93 XLT and they lasted me 8 years until an teenage girl got impatient at a red light and decided to go down the wrong side of the road and broadside it taking out the entire rear end suspension and drive shaft/tranny system :fire: . Anyway (sorry I had to vent) that was with some moderate offroading and towing a camper. As far as the 7000 series I now have on my '96 they are more of an off road variety, and are still ok for on the road. I've had no complaints so far and I've had them on for the past 2 years. The nice thing is they cost about $20-$30 less than the 9000's. Check with Advanced Auto, I got mine through them. Now, I am a little bit of a die hard Rancho fan so I am partially biased. But I just wanted to give you my perpesctive, because I know there are a lot of good shocks out there. The Rancho's just happen to be my favorite. Good luck.

Mark

Brandon1993Sport said:
Do not get rancho 5000s, mine were shot after less than 3 years and others here have had similar experiences. And this was with little to no offroading. Have you thought about monroe reflex's? can get them for 40 a piece.

Yeah, I've considered the Reflexes but those Pro Comp's are only about $30 so I'm still coming out less and with a free steering stabalizer. I still don't know though.

Back