• Register Today It's free!

Rancho Shock Question

JungleSkunk

Reaction score
City, State
Carbondale, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0
I was looking at getting the Rancho RS9000 shocks for the front of my 1998 XLT 4x4 and noticed a few different sizes recommended.

The first (XL) model says it is for 0" of Raised height and the other is for 1" to 2 1/2" Raised ride height.

My question is does a Torsion twist lift effect which shocks I should get? Should I get the 0" or the 1 to 2 1/2" models for my rig!?

I plan on doing rear warrior shackles and the Monroe Sensa-trac adjustables in the back and the torsion twist in the front with these ranchos.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the link but thats not the same shock and doesnt really give a clear answer whether or not you need the longer shocks. First it says they are not required for the TT lift and then it says he got the longer shocks. Soooo which is it!?

The RS9000 has two different lengths specific to the a 98 explorer. They are both adjustable to change the stiffness of the ride but one is longer than the other.

Sorry, completely misread RS9000. Contact Rancho direct?
Email the Rancho® Tech
Thanks! I sent them an email earlier and was waiting for a reply. Was hoping someone had hands on experience with this shock.

From my reading I have gathered that A) I do not need the extended shock for just a TT Lift. and B) The longer shock may actually help with ride stability with a TT Lift.

Still not sure which to go with as they are both recommended by Rancho for my explorer according to the site.

Need and should have are two different things. If your going to do a TT then get the longer ones awhile. My daughter has been driving on the longer RS5000 shocks for months. They work just fine on stock height vehicles, but she'll be ready when she does TT.

I guess I don't understand how a torsion twist changes range of travel. It does bring your truck up higher, but that just means there is less travel available when in the air, and more when hitting a hard bump.

I'd think the shock would be the same stock height, or torsion twist. I'm interested what Rancho would have to say about this.

I guess I don't understand how a torsion twist changes range of travel. It does bring your truck up higher, but that just means there is less travel available when in the air, and more when hitting a hard bump.

I'd think the shock would be the same stock height, or torsion twist. I'm interested what Rancho would have to say about this.

A TT don't change the range of travel at all. The longer shocks will let the front end drop more and not max out the stock length shocks. This gives a much improved ride, plus the longer ones are valved differently for the TT.

I got a reply back from Rancho but it doesnt really help me that much. I think I will just get the stock length and if they dont work Ill upgrade to the longer ones at a later time.

"RanchoExtreme Team <RTeam@Tenneco.com>

Hello Chris,

Usually with torsion twist you can get away with stock height shocks but to make sure, I would measure the existing shock fully extended and compressed.

Thanks
Jeff"

Don't know why comparing the non adjustable RS5374 designed for lifts would be any different than the RS9000 designed for lifts. Searching the Rancho fitment guide, it does not appear there is a RS9000 designed for front lifts. What model number?

Shock Absorbers

The first non lift I am seeing a part number as RS999229 Labeled as Ranch RS9000XL

The second is from the same vendor but has a part number of SM1K2CRanchoQ185-RS5374AA it may be a different shock all together but has the same stock photo as the rancho RS9000xl but appears to be an RS5000. It says in the comments "1996-2001 FORD EXPLORER with 1 - 2 1/2 Front Raised Height" I also cannot find this shock on the rancho website at all.

Im just going to order the top one I mentioned (RS9000xl) and play it safe.

Thanks for all the suggestions, It looks like I am dealing with a mislabeled shock on a vendor website.

DO NOT CHANGE THE EXTENDED LENGTH OF YOUR FRONT SHOCKS,

use the factory length unless you are going to use limit straps,

using a longer shock allows the arms to droop out more pulling apart the inner cv joint to CATASTROPHIC FAILURE,, ,,

i broke a limit strap on my Lifted Ex and i didn't know it till i blew the inner on the drivers side, and had to get towed home,

broken cv axle.jpg

How much TT did you do?

Mine has about 1 1/2'' and it is fine with the longer shocks. And it drives A LOT better too.

Like mentioned, longer shocks are not needed, and can actually be a bad thing. Keep the stock length for a stock range of motion. I had the 9000 adjustables on my previous Mounty and liked them. I had a full 2 inch TT, stock length, zero issues for tens of thousands of miles, and I worked the front end out a lot.

Like mentioned, longer shocks are not needed, and can actually be a bad thing. Keep the stock length for a stock range of motion. I had the 9000 adjustables on my previous Mounty and liked them. I had a full 2 inch TT, stock length, zero issues for tens of thousands of miles, and I worked the front end out a lot.
Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info.

If your wheeling I wouldn't rely on your shocks to limit your travel. I had OEM style shocks on my ttwisted ex and kept bowing out upper shock mount bushings because I was relying on my shocks to limit my travel. I went to rancho 5000 since.

The TT should help in that situation, since since you are closer to full droop. If you were blowing out shocks regularly, I would suspect that it was an issue with those particular shocks.

Could have been the wrong shocks... I bought the ex stock with those shocks installed. But what would it hurt to have a little extra shock length? I mean as long as you have limiting straps to limit your CV angle. I wouldn't want to rely on my shocks to limit travel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well they don't put limit straps on stock trucks, so they do rely on the shocks for travel limiting,, Ford has millions of dollars spent on R and D of all these vehicles with way more than qualified engineers,,, i'm sure they put the proper things in place for reasons,,,

Back