• Register Today It's free!

Ranger leafs w/ SOA on X?

bennyhana20

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer xlt
I am looking to mount a Spring Over Axle on my 92 XLT, mostly for purposes of ground clearance under the axle. I have heard that ranger leaf springs can be used to lower an explorer. This would make sense in that most ranger come equipped with leaf springs on top of the rear axle, and explorer underneath. I currently run the 2" skyjacker coils, and an add-a-leaf. I plan to remove the AAL and purchase the spring perches for the SOA. I suppose i would ideally find some leaf springs with very little arch to attempt to minimize lift in the rear. I am all for ground clearance but do not want to throw my drive line angle totally out of whack. Does anyone know if ranger springs can be used to lower an X? Any other ideas for minimizing the rear ride height with an SOA.. What about Toyota leafs? I see many that begin to get negative arch pretty quick?

You know what's funny? On the Explorer sites people are always talking about putting Ranger leaves on Explorers. And on the Ranger sites people are always talking about using Explorer leaves...maybe the sites should swap leaves...LOL

Ignore me. I just thought it was funny.

You can use ranger leafs they give you a little bit less lift. Toyota leafs will not work at all. However you will get more wheel hop/axle wrap with the ranger springs. I don't know if you wheel or not but you will notice it alot off road.

My next mod for the rear of my 92 is to SOA the stock axle, then modify the mounting points on the frame.

I want to eliminate the spring hanger that sticks down so far below the frame rail and also have less than the typical 5.5" lift from a SOA conversion.

What I intend to do is to remove the spring hangers, cut pockets into the frame rail, then insert the spring hangers into the pockets and plate the entire thing. That will make the front of my leaf springs flat with the frame rails, eliminate all the stuff that hangs down below the axle, and give me a total lift of around 3".

I'll do lots of pics when I get around to doing the job.

Back