ranger vs explorer

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
in a 2wd contest.. a 2wd ranger vs. a 00 2wd explorer 4-d00r v8.... which has better suspension when it comes to jumping, rockcrawling and speed? I have a Mounty with a spindle lift, fenders and 32's and some guy in a ranger with a fabtech three inch lift at the gas station was eyein my ride and asked if it was as good as his ranger?
I kno the rangers and explorers have different suspesnions. the rangers have coils and 2wd explorers got spindles? Which one of the two would be better?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another silly comparison....

Of that year, I think rangers had the exact same suspension as the sploder... TTB ended back in 97 for em I believe...
The plus for you is the V8

you're not jumping very high with either one and stock suspension....better put some $$ into something like that........ rock crawling i would rather have the ranger...i think they have shorter wheel base which means less chance at getting high centered.....the v8 will just give you more power but you dont really need power when crawling....i think what you need is torque

and the v8 have more torque

Originally posted by jssong
and the v8 have more torque

SOHC! :eek:

EDIT: not trying to say the SOHC has more torque, just stating it has a load of torque

but the SOHC torque isn't that high at the low rpms like the v8 is.

that v8 has torque all over. i'd rather have the v8 for crawling...

Speed-You're gonna beat him unless he has an SOHC.

Jumping-Stock vs.stock, he's going to be better because his truck is lighter

Rockcrawling- when even ask this? Both trucks are 2wd :rolleyes:

I was going to say, 4x2. Yuck! Stick to the pavement!

Hey, I rockcrawled in 2WD before. I then proceeded to overheat my tranny and blow a seal, so I was stuck there for a while.:D

Random Question: Isnt the SOHC faster than the v8.

I may be biased, but I'll sa the Ranger, both I've owned get air frequently, and have never had any problems, light tough little trucks. I could just see an Ex breaking something the way I beat the pickups just because of the wieght

what has better suspension?

2000 2wd ranger or 2000 2wd explorer?

same suspension as far as I know

Same suspension?? I thought the 2000 2wd explorer had spindles, and the 2000 2wd ranger had coils and a-arms?

Don't start the SOHC versus V-8 debate again ;)

The SOHC is faster :p :)

Originally posted by clarkkent
Same suspension?? I thought the 2000 2wd explorer had spindles, and the 2000 2wd ranger had coils and a-arms?
The Explorers have T-bars while the Ranger has coils (unless it was an EDGE). As for jumping, both won't do too well. The Explorer might do slightly better since it has more weight over the rear axle, which means (theoretically) it would fly more level in the air and land smoother.

learn something new everyday, I thought the Ranger were now SLA suspension as are the Explorers. But what do I know? When did the ranger start with the Coil A-arm? I had TTB, now D44:D

I thought the Ranger were now SLA suspension as are the Explorers
They are, except instead of T-bars like the Explorer, they use springs. Keep in mind, this is for 2wd, I don't know about 4wd.

When did the ranger start with the Coil A-arm?
In '98 when the almighty beams were axed. :thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SOMEONE DRAW A PICTURE!! hehe I don't understand why the ranger and explorer couldnt be the same, and Rangers and explorers could just all get along.

Back