• Register Today It's free!

Rattle from driver's side front

ophidia

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer
Recently, my 1999 Mountaineer has developed a rattle that sounds like it's coming from the front left suspension. It's noticeable when on rough roads, but is quiet on smooth roads.

It's sort of a low toned, almost clunky rattle. It doesn't seem to happen if I turn the steering wheel back and forth sitting still.

What does it sound like it could be? Is there any more information that could help diagnose it?

It could be any of a number of things... wheel bearing/hub assembley, loose bolt, bad shock. If your truck is AWD like mine, it could be the pinion bearings in the front diff failing (which is what is happening to mine). When I roll off the throttle, the load on the pinion reverses, shoving it back against the other side of the bearings. The pinion rattles in and out, shaking the whole truck.

It's been doing this for almost 20k miles... I've just been waiting for the diff to hand grenade... but it hasn't!!!

A rattle that I found was the sway bar mount bushing. Almost more of a clunk sound. Or could be the sway bar end bushings.
No matter, it isnt a bad idea to replace them on a veh. that old anyway. They dont last forever.
Explorer Express has some good upgrades. Or Energy Suspension.

agree with the above posts, have a thorough inspection on your car parts such as the steering/suspension/wheel/tire - Check the control arm bushings, ball joints, struts and strut bearings; Worn steering linkage; a bent wheel or bad tire causes steering wheel; This are some of the common reason why car rattles.

Good luck, hope you'll figure out what's really the problem..

Back