• Register Today It's free!

Rattling front driver side

madbrown

Reaction score
City, State
Big Sky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I've got a 98' XLT Explorer, and there has been a "rattling" noise which seems to be coming from the front wheel base area of the driver's side. Only noticeable when driving on rough roads. Since our driveway is 1/4 dirt road I hear it a lot. After a visual inspection boots seem to be fine, nothing feels loose, and caliper boots are secure. Don't know if it's a joint or what? Definitely something is knocking around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your heat shields under there...

Where is the heat shield located? Thanks

I'll check them, but I guess I could of explained the noise a little better, it's more of a hard knock than a rattling. It sounds like a solid heavy part is loose and maybe banging against something else (if that description helps at all)?

radius arm bushings?
mine ar about wore out and sounds like im runnin over bricks when i hit a decent bump, sounds like its coming from just forward of my feet

There are no radius arms on a '98. Check your sway bar end links. They are a pretty common thing to go bad. Also check your front driveline(assuming 4wd). That is your u-joints, pinion bearings, etc.

sry had a duh moment..... comes from being sick and outta coffee :(

If it feels like it's under your feet, it could be the pads above the torsion bar mounts...

Finally had a chance to take a good look underneath (crazy work schedule). Anyways, the bushings to sway bar links appear to be alright meaning not cracked or deteriorated, and I didn't check driveline yet as I don't know what I'm looking for. However, I noticed that a pad on the driver has left a mark on top of the torsion bar? So maybe that's been the issue. If so what would cause this? Would it have been the shocks, which I replaced last month. But I guess that wouldn't make sense since it still knocks.

Back