rattling/clunking when accelerating or when the engine is working harder than normal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rattling/clunking when accelerating or when the engine is working harder than normal

wade1485

Reaction score
City, State
stow, ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
So here is the problem...I am towing a boat with my '00 ex and when I drive up an incline stretch on the highway or when I am over 50mph and give the car some good push, I hear a clunk from what sounds like the engine compartment. It seems that whenever the engine is having to work hard to climb a hill or when the car is having to do a lot of work I hear this sound. Anyone have any ideas?

btw...my '00 5.0 is a BEAST for towing my 22' ft boat! This thing pulls the boat out of the water without a single problem. I am not a ford fan but I can't find a reason to get rid of this car. Ohio winters can be ugly and my ex pushes through ANYTHING!

thx in advance for any ideas!

AH! I had this problem!!
My X rattled and clanked when I was at about 2500rpm and also when I started from a stand still. My culpret was a guard plate that goes over the transfer case. It's in the dead center of the truck, goes right underneath the transfer case. It bolts to the frame on both sides. Remove it and take a run around the neighborhood to see if you hear it still.

I was a little abusive on the last 4x4 trip and strattled a rock I THOUGHT I could clear but snagged the plate and it shifted vertically about half an inch (the holes that it mounts in allow for movment, no clue why) But it stopped me dead from about 15 mph, no damage to the plate or the X. It just got shifted enough to allow the transfer case to touch it. And annoy the crap out of me. Yes it did seem like it was coeming from the engine bay.

I will take a look at that tonight. Thx for the help!

Rattle, or clank?... Engine pinging would be my first guess if its sounds like a rattle

Back