Rattling... is dynamat the answer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattling... is dynamat the answer?

snobrder9186

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport 2Dr 4WD
When i turn up my subs all I hear is rattling from different things, especially the plastic door panels and rear door panel. I also noticed that my seatbelt mechanism has bearing or sumthin in them that rattle and its annoying the hell outta me! I was wondering if I dynamatted the 2 doors and the rear panels and back hatch if that would eliminate all the rattles, or if that would only cut out road noise. Also how much of the stuff would I need for my 2dr. sport? and how big is it a PITA? Please lemme know Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it that answer for all...no if u really want the ratles gone u have to chase them all down will it get rid of alot of them sure but almost none on the inside of the car it will make them worse im my expirence BUT it did help alot with the rear outside portion of the car alot of the ratles have gone or are much less

if u really want the ratles gone then u have to stop anything from moving that doesnt need to move the plastic door panels for one also anything inside of the doors needs to be really secure but u also have to remember the windows and latchs still need to work

u can use pieces of wood spray foam foam tape dynomat or the cheaper brand and planty of zip ties

did i meantion a week of work =)

o yah its also not a huge PITA to do dynomat it kinda is but once u get rolling u can do it prety easily

with ur subs u dont need to probably go as extreem as me and my friend did so hmm probably wouldnt be...that... hard if u have any questions just ask and ill try to tell u what we did to what to make it go away =) sry what i said is kinda rambling lol long day

DO NOT dymamat the rear quarter panels and hatch. I did all that, NO difference whatsoever. It might cut down on rattling outside of the ex, but no difference within the explorer.

-Patrick

Does Dynamat come in a spray can form? It might be more effective because it can go through some hard to reach places.

dynomat is NOT just for rattles it is to sound deaden the car so u can keep sound in as well as keep it pleasant sounding it is NOT for rattles i repeat do NOT BUY IT TO STOP RATTLES buy it to sound deaden the car and be happy if it stoped one rattle

if u want a killer sound system u have to go all the way and chase down every single rattle

also theres no dynomat spray cars but theres this really nifty stuff for filling like gaps in window trim for houses and stuff its spray foam works really well at getting rid of rattles

just make sure u read it =) when it says only fill 50% then only fill 50% otherwise u will be chasing little globs of spray from for weeks

ya, my rear door keeps rattling everytime I turn up the music. I think its those vent-like looking things. How can i stop THOSE from rattling? thats the only thing that rattles for me. Dynamat really helps.

you mean the hatch door? If that rattles, you could try putting some weather sealent (like strips of cloth/lent) and put that around the edges.

If you pick up the plastic piece that surrounds the lock on the inside of the door, there is a screw there you should make sure is tight.

Another place to make sure that is tight, is where the inside hanging-handle attaches to the door, there are two screws behind that.

I forget right now if the rear panel has them or not, but if there are any plastic screws, push them in to make sure they are tight.

One rattling I would pay dearly to fix is my rear view mirror... I have the auto-dimming one, and it rattles like no other. I'm kinda hesitent about taking it apart though.

-Patrick

ya my rear hatch door, but those vent like things:

be_3.jpg

those vent like things next to the handle and below the window. they shake.

can u pop the vents off? if u cant can u get the whole thing off? the only way to stop something from ratteling is to limit its movement or contact if u cant stop it from moving all together then u need to stop it from hitting something that makes noise so if its making noise because its hitting something inside the gate then take the whole pannel off and put some weather stripping on whatever its hitting it wont stop it but it wont make any noise

the weather stripping u can get at home depo or lows or something and just get the small thin one works great

Having owned a couple of X's (and a few car audio stores to boot) Let me tell you there are so many things that can rattle in an X you'd go broke trying to dynomat it all out (plus dyno isnt for rattles, it just happens to help sometimes) .

in the hatch, there are a few key things that rattle. the slider for the lock rattles around in the hole, the vents rattle, the lock's metal rods rattle, and the entire door panel itself rattle's against the hatch.

the most effective method of rattle proofing an ex in the entire rear end (cargo + hatch) is a simple and inexpensive trip to your local home improvement store for a roll of insulation (i prefer pink panther).

By using the insulation and stuffing the panels, you eliminate the movement of all the parts inside, including the rods, vents, and panels themselves.

it cut's down on the sound waves bouncing around inside of the panels called "resonance" and thereby helps the overall sound quality.

it is a gaurenteed fix at a price everyone will love. this info comes from over 10 years in the biz.

Happy trails :)

Back