Raybestos, Power Stop, or Wagner brake hardware? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raybestos, Power Stop, or Wagner brake hardware?

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I am going to do the front brakes while I am doing so other work. I have updated the list to include the suggestion of TechGuru. I am looking at these setups,

Raybestos833H680014E3 Element3 Brake Pad and Rotor Kit, front ($81)
Raybestos Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip ($6)
Wagner Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit, Front ($12)
RAYBESTOS H5086 R-Line Caliper Guide Pins, Front ($4)
$103 total

Power Stop Z23833 Z23 Evolution Sport Carbon Fiber-Ceramic Brake Pads ($40)
Power Stop AR8589EVC Evolution Geomet Coated Rotor (2x $31)
$112 total

Wagner BD125758E Black E-Coat Front 305mm Diameter Rotor (2x $38)
Wagner SX833 SevereDuty Semi-Metallic Brake Pads ($32)
Wagner Disc Brake Caliper Guide Pin Boot Kit, Front ($12)
$126 total

These setups have a similar cost at a little over $100. The Power Stop pads include the boot kit.

Are there any opinions about performance with these two kits? Are there other suggestions?

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have actually had good experience with both. I have Power Stop on our Mach 1 and Dodge Ram 3500. I have used Raybestos on my '93 Explorer.

I'd go with Bendix Fleet MetLok or Wagner SevereDuty on the pads.

Pads:
Front: Wagner SX833 SevereDuty Semi-Metallic
Rear: Wagner SX881 SevereDuty Semi-Metallic
Rotors:
Front: Wagner BD125758E Black E-Coat
Rear: Wagner BD125759E Black E-Coat

I have updated my original post to include the Wagner option. I have Wagner rotors and Thermoquiet pad on the vehicle right now. I think they have worked fairly well but I had to do allot grinding on the pads to get them to fit when I did the install. I have never used semi-metallic pads. How do they differ from ceramic or hybrid pads? I always liked the look of the black E-coat rotors but last time I got something less expensive.

LMHmedchem

I have updated my original post to include the Wagner option. I have Wagner rotors and Thermoquiet pad on the vehicle right now. I think they have worked fairly well but I had to do allot grinding on the pads to get them to fit when I did the install. I have never used semi-metallic pads. How do they differ from ceramic or hybrid pads? I always liked the look of the black E-coat rotors but last time I got something less expensive.

LMHmedchem

See here: Semi Metallic brake pads vs Ceramic

When shoping brakes, I ask mfg for edge codes and pad formulation. There are many formulations each with benefits and drawbacks but in my opinion the edge code vs temp graph is the most telling. They all have a two character code, may have to dig a little. The further in the alphabet the better generally.

I like Akebono ASP fronts as they are GG code and have great initial bite, modulation, and hot performance while low dust. Rear, raybestos has a police vehicle formulation which works pretty well.

Last I checked, Ford had FF edge codes which have a lower coefficient of friction both hot and cold. Ford did have a higher fade tolerant pad branded the Super Duty pad for higher GVW and fleet use. Not sure on edge codes but I ran those on multiple Super Duty trucks with great success.

The powerstop pads I used once on my 03 Gen3 were noisy, dirty but had similar performace as the Akebono. Personally I like the ASPs.

Back