READ THIS!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

READ THIS!!!!

NickD

Reaction score
I dont know why but Ford built most explorers with a premium sound syst that are intertwined....This means that if you up-graded anything (from cd deck to speakers to subs and amp) you have to rewire EVERYTHING. If you blow one speaker, all four have to be replaced. I had soundtrack install a Kenwood 745 watt amp with 2 12" rockford fosgate subs...they had to re run wire and bypass the pre amp and the 6" sub....So if you are installing your own system in an explorer, expect a good amount of time and be patient!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nick,
What year Explorer do you have? My 92 xlt has the single amp (no sub) and I did not have to re-wire the entire system. I did my upgrade in steps... First I bypassed the amp and replaced the head unit. Then I changed just the front speakers... Then I added an Amp. Then I replaced the rear speakers. All of my door speakers are still running using the stock wiring.

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

My explorer is a 93. The message about the rewiring was what I was told by
soundtrack when I bought my system. Thinking about it, it might be for only eddie
bauers with the sub. Unless thats what they told me to get them to do it for more
money!!! But that is how my stereo was wired and another friend of mine with
another EB....If you know of any one else that has heard this, let me know

NickD

Whom ever installed the system on your truck likes to take the hard way when working. You do not have to bypass the stock amp - in fact, all you need is a harness that hooks up to the "grey factory cable" which in reality is your speaker wires. I have a 91 EB with the same hook up (same until 94 at least and could be the same for later models.)

Good to know, I think I will have to have a talk with them, that kinda pisses me off! I could have save about 200.00 and done it myself, thanks for the info

------------------
93EB

Back