• Register Today It's free!

Really bad, constant ping.

KooK

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ranger 4x4 5spd 4.0
I'm getting a ping like I have NEVER heard before. Its like one cylinder is running a consistant lean between 2500-3200RPM at maybe 30-80% throttle, but when I go WOT it goes away. When I say consistant, I mean everytime that cylinder is supposed to fire, it pings, EVERYtime. I'm thinking an injector must be faulty but I want other opinions before I do anything.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could have a cracked valve. The small piece of valve would be so hot that it would cause detonation. Just one thought

another thing people miss is a leaky Idle Air Control valve....sometimes you will hear it hunm on acceleration..... it can lean out the mixture.

Have you replaced your fuel filter lately? Look for any intake leaks. Also check your fuel pressure regulator. If you have a clogged filter or bad FPR you can get low fuel pressure to the injectors and get a lean burn. My 92 used to ping alot. WOT would usually quiet it briefly. I think that a WOT enriches the mixture for acceleration???

I Agree that it's probably a fuel injector. Clean them out every once in awhile to keep them up to par. Check your fuel filter. It's likely that you'll have to buy new injectors.

Back