Really rough idle, half open throttle to start, high rpm, exhaust red glowing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Really rough idle, half open throttle to start, high rpm, exhaust red glowing

bambamR7

Reaction score
City, State
SEATTLE, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,
https://youtu.be/YQkBAC7888U
I have been working on my 2001 ford explorer sport truck 4.0l sohc 4wd, 2dr for over 3 months...
I bought it with the timing chain ripped, and so they weren't but the guides were so i replaced them, put it back together, timed it at 8 degrees advanced was shooting for ten per alldata...
anyhow here is a clip of how the truck is running... it needs throttle help to start, will die if it gets to less than 1100 rpms! after holding the throttle opened so it wouldn't die after few minutes exhaust on the passenger side starts glowing red and the exhaust starts smoking, i have tried using cataclean, replaced sensors, and i'm just so exhausted and lost as when i began i was confident ready to tackle on the challenge, but now i need help from my fellow community..
i'm attaching a clip just so anyone have any ideas can throw my way...
please..
thank you so much!
Bam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a clogged cat. Take a rubber hammer and hit the cat. If you hear pieces rattling around it's shot. If you don't it's still probably shot haha. If it's glowing red like that, that's a major clog and explains why the truck won't run.

the CAT HAS been replaced

The cat has been replaced and still no change a lil better from time to time but not really.
Anyone else? please help if you came across this problem.
Thank you very much!
Bam

Can someone that has the same vehicle please post few pictures of how the vacuum lines should go as I'm not sure if they're in their right places.
thanks

incorrect timing

. . . I bought it with the timing chain ripped, and so they weren't but the guides were so i replaced them,

What timing chain related components did you replace?

put it back together, timed it at 8 degrees advanced was shooting for ten per alldata...

If you're referring to camshaft timing it should be set for 0 degrees.
TDCPntr.jpg

Some Mustang owners set their timing to 5 degrees BTDC in an attempt to improve max power at the upper engine speeds while sacrificing low end torque and idle quality. 8 deg BTDC or more is excessive. With a SOHC engine advancing the intake valves also advances the exhaust valves. My engine performs well all the way up to 6250 rpm with 0 deg timing in accordance with shop timing procedures.

How did you set the timing? Did you use the OTC-6488 timing tool kit?
OTC6488Kit.jpg

Refer to the following thread for timing the camshafts: SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing

anyhow here is a clip of how the truck is running... it needs throttle help to start, will die if it gets to less than 1100 rpms! after holding the throttle opened so it wouldn't die after few minutes exhaust on the passenger side starts glowing red and the exhaust starts smoking, i have tried using cataclean, replaced sensors . . .

The engine sounds terrible and I suggest not running it until you reset the timing. Is the engine stock or have you made other changes (i.e. MAF sensor, throttle body, intake tube, fuel injectors, etc.)?

The stock 2001 intake configuration differs from the 2000 Sport. I think yours is similar to the Sport Trac. A loose or unconnected vacuum hose will adversely affect idle. I usually take photos of something I'm disassembling for the first time so I can refer to them upon reassembly. If your passenger side cat is overheating that bank is probably rich. Did you disconnect the O2 sensor connectors at some point? If so, are you sure you connected them correctly?

timing can affect it this much?

Originally Posted by bambamR7
. . . I bought it with the timing chain ripped, and so they weren't but the guides were so i replaced them,
What timing chain related components did you replace?
I replaced the guides, left chain because I didn't take the engine out of the vehicle which I SHOULD HAVE DONE FOR ANYONE THINKING IF THEY SHOULD/SHOULDN'T TAKE THE ENGINE OUT TO REPLACE TIMING CHAINS, SPECIFICALLY RH, to replace the right side chain...
I'm going to reconnect the computer but my starter just went out so i have to get that done before I can reconnect the computer and see if it infact does say 8 degrees as I only noticed it once when looking at the screen, it could have been due to acceleration, because I remember getting it timed to the red mark on your photo which I thought was 10 degrees advanced. sorry.

How did you set the timing? Did you use the OTC-6488 timing tool kit?
Attachment 87831
Refer to the following thread for timing the camshafts: SOHC V6 Camshaft Timing

I used this method here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358576
I didn't use the timing tool kit...

Do you really think that it's timing that can so badly affect how the truck is running?

The engine sounds terrible and I suggest not running it until you reset the timing. Is the engine stock or have you made other changes (i.e. MAF sensor, throttle body, intake tube, fuel injectors, etc.)?
The engine is stock.
except for the spark plug wires ngk but they said oem standard.

The stock 2001 intake configuration differs from the 2000 Sport. I think yours is similar to the Sport Trac. A loose or unconnected vacuum hose will adversely affect idle. I usually take photos of something I'm disassembling for the first time so I can refer to them upon reassembly. If your passenger side cat is overheating that bank is probably rich. Did you disconnect the O2 sensor connectors at some point? If so, are you sure you connected them correctly?
I did take pictures of everything prior to disassembling it, my phone was accidently reset, reformatted, hence the pictures went away with the reformatting process....

Thank you for your input, I'll tackle the o2 sensors configuration, double check timing, and will take a look at a similar truck at a junkyard to see the vacuum lines.

The one time I had exhaust glowing red I had fouled plugs. Replaced plugs and wires and it was fine. with the fouled plugs not firing it was dumping fuel into the exhaust. check the plugs and that the wires are not crossed maybe.

check the right camshaft timing

So you replaced the left cassette guide and chain.
7U3Z-6A257-A.jpg

But not the primary tensioner and guide.
PrimWorn.jpg

Nor the right cassette guide and chain.
tascartcassette.jpg

Do you have 4WD? If so, did you check the balance shaft tensioner and guide?
BlncShft.jpg

If you timed the left camshaft with the crankshaft at 0 degrees by mistake then it shouldn't be a problem. However, if you loosened the jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt when you replaced the left cassette the right camshaft may have rotated out of position unless you had vise grips on it to keep it from rotating. When the crankshaft is at TDC with cylinder 1 on the compression stroke the valve springs are compressed on the right bank are compressed and can rotate the right camshaft out of position (as much as 30 degrees) if not held in place.

I suggest that you remove the valve covers and check the timing of the left and right camshafts to prevent potential valve damage. Rotate the crankshaft until it is at TDC with cylinder 1 on the compression stroke. The camshaft position sensor "nub" should be as shown below.
ToolsLft.jpg

I also suggest that you check the right cassette guide to see if it is broken.
RearCstPiece.jpg

the plug was shorting in the first cylinder and redoing timing now

I changed all the tensioners guides, as they were all broken, and now I'm timing it to the o degree mark as streetrod2000 has shown in the pictures below.... as I was wrong I did set it at the other mark... thank you rath... thanks street...
I'll update as soon as i'm done with these things.
thanks again

Hey,
well I finally finished doing the things aforementioned and I set timing to the 0 degree mark WITHOUT the OTC timing kit, it runs 10 times better but now only has no power and red exhaust glowing, THUS, I am almost certain that the only issue I have, thank you streetrod2000, is to do timing with the proper ford tools.
Anyone reading this, if leaving in Washington somewhere near Seattle/Tacoma area, please pm me if you are able to lend that kit since I really don't want to purchase it...
I thank you all for your time and comments...
I will let you know if it does fix all the rest of the problems if the timing is set with the proper tools.
BAM

compression?

What is the current compression for at least one cylinder in each bank?
I suggest that you check your spark plug wiring.
Cylinder%20key%204_0%20SOHC.jpg

Double check cylinders 5 and 6 to make sure they are connected to the correct coilpack terminal.

A catalytic converter that glows red is getting a bunch of raw fuel. Investigate causes; horrible timing, bad plugs/wires/coils/distributor (since your distributor and coil is common to both sides this is very unlikely), misrouted wires, bad O2 sensors (is the CEL light on?). If the O2 sensors/computer is functioning, I would expect a check engine light is on indicating a very rich condition on only that one side.

Back