Rear (2nd row) seat folded; latch stuck closed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear (2nd row) seat folded; latch stuck closed

breddy

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
My son was crawling around our '13 Limited (non power rears) and while the 2nd row was folded up, he locked one of the latches closed. It seems not to want to open and the dealer has asked us to bring it in.

Is there a trick to getting the floor latch to open back up so I can lock the seat back down in un-folded position?

Thanks in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a handle on the back of the seat (in a 2014) that actuates the locking mechanism.

There's a handle on the back of the seat (in a 2014) that actuates the locking mechanism.

Yeah, that was the first thing we tried. Not doing the trick. I can see part of the actual latch moving when I yank on the handle (or the strap) but the latch refuses to unlock.

Lift it up a little further. The passenger 2nd row on our explorer takes an extra "yank" on the strap/handle to get it to pop out. My wife was convinced it simply didn't fold until I showed her she wasn't pulling hard enough.

When the 2nd row is upright and you want to fold it, you physically have to lift the seat up when holding the handle. If the seat is folded and you lift the handle, it is most likely just sitting there as if it was in the upright position. Grab a screw driver and while pulling the handle out, try to pry it open. The bar on the floor that the latch snaps onto is what is opening the latch when you pull the seat away from it. It doesn't physically open itself up by just pulling the strap or lever, it just unlocks itself allowing the latch to release to the open position

lift it up a little further. The passenger 2nd row on our explorer takes an extra "yank" on the strap/handle to get it to pop out. My wife was convinced it simply didn't fold until i showed her she wasn't pulling hard enough.

+1

From what I gather, the seat is unlocked and in the forward tilted position. The issue seems to be that the locking mechanism isn't open as in the picture but has been knocked into the locked position. Getting the clamps back into the open position seems to be the problem.

Peter

Attachments

• PA130139_1.JPG
    PA130139_1.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 7,331

From what I gather, the seat is unlocked and in the forward tilted position. The issue seems to be that the locking mechanism isn't open as in the picture but has been knocked into the locked position. Getting the clamps back into the open position seems to be the problem.

Peter

Yes and as I stated, I think it is as simple as pulling on the strap and using a screw driver to slide the jaw open. Looking at that picture while I type this may be easier for him to understand.

On the floor is the bar that the jaw locks onto. When you flip pull the strap, it opens internally allowing the jaw to open. However, the jaw does not open until you lift up on the seat.

If he pulls on the strap and uses a screw driver or even his own fingers to open the jaw, it should open right up. From what I'm gathering, the OP expects it to open on its own while pulling on the strap and that is not how it works.

Yes and as I stated, I think it is as simple as pulling on the strap and using a screw driver to slide the jaw open. Looking at that picture while I type this may be easier for him to understand.

On the floor is the bar that the jaw locks onto. When you flip pull the strap, it opens internally allowing the jaw to open. However, the jaw does not open until you lift up on the seat.

If he pulls on the strap and uses a screw driver or even his own fingers to open the jaw, it should open right up. From what I'm gathering, the OP expects it to open on its own while pulling on the strap and that is not how it works.

This exact scenario happened to me, I looked at the jaws for a while, tried a prybar & screwdriver, didnt move those jaws even a bit.

Kept looking and tried the strap and gave a good heave and they opened.
Cant really do anything to the jaws & the strap too if you are by yourself, I didnt need to-just realized that I needed to reactivate the mechanism by pulling the strap and lifting again and it worked fine.

OK this is really helpful. As it were, my wife had carpool looming and was able to slide it into the dealer nearby. Alas, they were able to fix it but didn't tell her what they did :(

What you say makes sense though. I pried a bit but not that hard, didn't want to break the mechanism. I'll give it a harder yank if this happens again, and use a bit more force with the screwdriver.

Did you find any solution to this? same problem I am also facing

Did you find any solution to this? same problem I am also facing
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I removed the quoted post as that member did not have the issue you are having. He was explaining how to try and fix the issue. I believe your question was for breddy who had the dealer fix it.

Peter

Lift it up a little further. The passenger 2nd row on our explorer takes an extra "yank" on the strap/handle to get it to pop out. My wife was convinced it simply didn't fold until I showed her she wasn't pulling hard enough.
✔️✔️✔️

Back