rear abs brake light stays on. what do i do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rear abs brake light stays on. what do i do?

viane

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
the rear abs brake light stays on constantly. the brakes dont lock up or anything, they work as they should. i have a 92 explorer sport. anyone know whats wrong or what i can do? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a super common problem. I have had this.

If you want, take it to a shop that does free estimates and have them tell you the cost, probably around $500 for a new RABS valve or other part related to the anti-lock brakes. If you have no leaks and brakes work, like mine, it seems fine to me.

If you want to have it perfect though, get it replaced I guess. If you search around there are plenty of threads here on how to do this yourself if you want.

Good luck!

Joe.

put a black piece of tape over it and forget about it like i did

you might find that it works better on a trail without the abs...

Try cleaning the ABS sensor located on top of the rear axle.

how do i clean it? do i take it off?

I only have an ABS light on my dash, not sure how that is a Rear ABS light unless both my 93 Explorers were missing a rear ABS light....

mine is a stick shift . im not sure if that has anything to do with it. im not to familiar with ford. i really dont like them but i got the explorer for free. so im gonna keep it. i just wanna know basically what is casuing the light to go off and if it was something that needed to be fixed.

the light says rear antilock

91 and 92 Ex's have rear abs only. 93 and later have 4 wheel abs. Therefore explaining why it says rear abs and not abs.

Back